Together we make EasyVFR
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Slow screen drawing in Windows 10

9e962d1fa5fdf1ca6869ab6765cafef1?s=80&d=retro&r=g
Topic starter
Estimable Member

Using one of the latest DELL laptops with Windows 10 the screen buildup from an initial small window to a full screen one takes a few seconds - much too long.

Topic Tags
4 Replies
a0794159f1cc2f4ea8c5e73830745f84?s=80&d=retro&r=g
Admin Beta tester, Translator
Prominent Member

Dear Ernst,

Thank you for addressing. In the coming update, we have improved the overall map rendering. This should improve both the startup speed as the re-render time after changing the window size. Looking forward to your experience on that. And please let us know if there is no improvement at all, in that case, a screen video might help us to see how EV4 builds up the screen on your DELL.

Cheers,
Tim

Topic starter
Estimable Member

Hi Tim,

Unfortunately, the rendering seems to be (much) slower in the current edition than even the slow one before, both Windows and Android.

Cheers, Ernst.

1 Reply
a0794159f1cc2f4ea8c5e73830745f84?s=80&d=retro&r=g
Admin Beta tester, Translator

Prominent Member

@e-langerlanger-group-com

Hi Ernst, I fully agree. We are not there yet. Since you are a developer yourself I can try to explain some of the options a bit further.

Yesterday we released the next update V4.0.614 that cuts several unnecessary computing steps you and other testers found. Although these tweaks do help for several systems to get less stuff, we are definitely not finished. Every hint on what is an unnecessary computing step is useful. 

One of the things we need to find a solution for is the auto-download in the background. We feel it is definitely important to always show the latest information. But while updating in the background many systems get temporarily slower.

Another thing that that looks promising for several devices is the behavior of "Repaint screenBuffer every frame" under the developer tweaks. On one side this makes the program in general slower: start-up time increases with 2 to 20 seconds, opening menu or rendering a completely fresh map takes more time. But the experience while repositioning the map is much faster. Several Windows, Androids and iOS systems show a full 1 seconds improvement while zooming in and out and dragging the map. So we have to puzzle out to get the best out of both. You can try enabling the option yourself if you like.

Big gains are expected from are several ideas on advancing the vector data structure and rendering processes. (I am not involved in this project, so I can't be to specific) Working on this is something we are really looking forward to because it will not only improve the whole screen drawing speed map but in many other situations like Track Up and Rendering Realtime aswell. It's estimated to be a four weeks work without updates in between and therefore planned for after most of the top-level features in the roadmap are added and most of the bugs are fixed

Many thanks again for all the feedback and bug report you are bringing us. It is really helpful.

Have a nice weekend,

Tim

Topic starter
Estimable Member

I understand from my experience that performance is one of the trickiest things to work on, especially when you have implemented the first generally available suggestions and you are still not there where you ought to be. Performance is one of those features which can make or break the success of software (and hardware, too).

Another point - I don't know if you noticed my other posting about the inflight difficulties with the moving map on my Android tablet. If you think that's a general issue I would have expected some kind of hint or maybe even warning to the beta testers? What do you think?

Have a nice weekend, too!

Share:
My cart
Your cart is empty.

Looks like you haven't made a choice yet.