Clear all

Ev4 amount of RAM required

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Beta tester
Topic starter
Reputable Member

Are there any plans to reduce the amount of RAM that is required to run Ev4?.

Ev 3.97 coped fine on 1GB of RAM and the competition, SD, manages with 850mb RAM.

Currently I only have Ev4 on Windows 10 on my desktop PC but it seems I will need to buy new hardware before I can seriously use Ev4. Preference is for Apple product and with the Ipadmin4 now discontinued and Ipadmini5 at a sky high price of £500+ in the UK, using Ev4 is going to be an expensive process seeing as I always carry a backup tablet so will need two of them!

5 Replies
Trusted Member

I was also disappointed to discover that EV4 would not run on my existing two Android tablets or my iPad and had to go out and buy a 64 bit 2 gig tablet.  I chose a cheap and cheerful Lenovo Tab4-8 which I'm not really sure is going to be up to the job but seems to be coping at the moment.

This has meant that instead of renewing my FFM due early May I have opted for the Single platform Android membership as this is all I will be able to use when airborne.  Back-up will just have to be EV3 on my existing Nexus 2013.

This may be a bigger issue for me as I'm getting long in the tooth and don't know how much longer I will have to fly and am reluctant to spend megga bucks on high spec technology that may soon become superfluous to my requirements, but I can see this being an issue for many people.

It was useful being able to plan on the PC but not critical.

Alan

Beta tester
Topic starter
Reputable Member

Yes it is a disappointing situation and I too am in similar situation and will need to consider my options at renewal in July.

Ev4 is a completely new App as far as I can see and I can't help wondering why such a big change is necessary. The chart mapping of Ev4 is a big improvement but the other stuff I am so far I am failing to really see the advantages.

Will it be possible to continue to use Ev 3.97 after Ev4 goes fully 'live'I wonder and if so for how long will it be available to use for existing Ev users?

Alan.

Stewart Buckingham
Honorable Member

It is certainly intended NOT to discontinue EV3 when EV4 is ready for release. New features will not be added to EV3 but essential bugs will be fixed. We will allow users to migrate when they are ready and when their hardware is suitable. Not will be using the same cloud account so routes and aircraft profiles made on one can be used on the other. 

As regards memory requirements the driver of that is the new mapping system. The other changes are not really significant in terms of RAM needed. I personally am running EV4 experimentally on a 1GB device (iPhone 6plus). At present it does occasionally crash due to insufficient RAM and some map details are automatically suppressed until zooming close in but it is not totally unusable and further refinements might be possible. 

Stu B

BetaCrew

Beta tester
Topic starter
Reputable Member

Thanks for the reassurances Stu.

I really do wish to continue with Ev but I am averse to parting with a large sum of money on new hardware plus the added situation of having to alter my aircraft instrument panel to accomodate different hardware.

I guess I will just have to see how things pan out in the coming weeks.

Alan.

Stewart Buckingham
Honorable Member

Thanks Alan. I think that getting that sort of user feedback is as important a product of this forum as the bug-findings type of feedback!

VBR

Stu

My cart
Your cart is empty.

Looks like you haven't made a choice yet.