Clear all

Airfield plates-Displaced thresholds

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Beta tester
Topic starter
Reputable Member

It would be good if some of the Airfield plates could be tidied up a bit.

Currently displaced Thresholds sometimes are shown and sometimes are not being shown.( Even on the same Airfield plate)

For example:-

EGNW Wickenby Airfield Plate shows displaced threshold on 03 but not shown on 21 or 33 which definitely do have large displaced thresholds.

EGCL Fenland Airfield Plate shows displaced threshold on 18 and 08 but doesn't show the displaced threshold on 26 which again it definitely has got.

I am sure there are lots of others like the above.

Alan.

6 Replies
leif
 leif
Beta tester
Prominent Member

yes, same in Germany.  This seems to be a graphics interpretation problem.  I can see that all these shortened runways are somehow cut off from their identifier.

Your gras example even has the tiny threshold mark offset in the meadows.

Admin
Noble Member

Hmm, last months a lot of time was spent by Rik, Marcel and Dave to survey runway coordinates, lengths and displaced thresholds for many european countries. The problem was/is " runway length"  is interpreted differently by various sources. Sometimes is LDA, sometimes its TDA, sometimes its the real length of the asphalt. 

It looks like the displaced thresholds are correctly rendered, but the problem is in the the runway length. We're investigating this asap. 

leif
 leif
Beta tester
Prominent Member

please also check for alignment of the icon.  EDDF Frankfurt is still oriented 18 /36.

I also noted that any north / south runway will interfere with the infobox.

Beta tester
Estimable Member

Alan

I have corrected the runways at Fenland and Wickenby.

Unfortunately, the published lengths of some runways includes the displaced areas, others it is classed as not within the runway length so there is no hard and fast rule and each one has to be treated individually. It is therefore important to check the LDA of a runway and not rely on the length as this is the strip length. Even with the likes of Pooleys, the runway lengths are not always accurate when compared to Google Earth. I suspect this is because the data for unlicensed airfields is often an approximate length supplied by the operator. Unfortunately, when working with coordinates the distances are precise.

If you spot any others, we will correct them ASAP. Please post a one liner via this link and they will be routed to the correct person to review and correct ready for the next update.

https://navfarm.pocketfms.com/2-ContactAirmarshal.asp

Leif

I will leave Rob to answer your query about the N/S runways in Airfield Info.

Beta tester
Topic starter
Reputable Member

Thanks Dave...Will do.

Alan.

leif
 leif
Beta tester
Prominent Member

Just by comparing numbers, it is not possible to calculate the relevant information.

In my EDFP example the strip is prepared on a length of 808m.

I would definitely need a reliable picture to show me what I have to expect on landing.

and for comparison the Jeppesen chart..

This is only one of many examples ....

My cart
Your cart is empty.

Looks like you haven't made a choice yet.