App freezes after GPS source changes

12 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Jörg Walther
Beta tester
Topic starter
Eminent Member

I use EasyVFR with an iPad4 (without own GPS). When I start the app usually a connection to a bluetooth GPS mouse GNS2000 is established. Lateron I switch on a Stratux device. After a while a message box appears: GPS source has changed. Location (GPS) source is set to "Automatic".

Then the app freezes. I can kill it and start it anew and it will work fine for hours. But this happening is quite disturbing because it often happens right after take-off and you usually have other things to do than playing with the iPad.

Anyone having the same experience?

Best regards

Jörg 

11 Replies
Admin
Noble Member

Hi Joerg,

Am I correct in understanding this “freezing” happens when you turn on your stratux while EV4 is in flightmode? And with “freeze” you mean EV4 doesnt respond at all anymore any you have to restart the app entirely and when that is done the stratux is picked up and everything works ok?

Have you tried turning on the stratux before entering flightmode and see if that works better then?

sorry for all the questions, just need some leads to start looking somewhere....

4 Replies
Jörg Walther
Beta tester

Eminent Member

@rob-weijers

Hi Rob

I have tested the situation yesterday once more. My iPad was set to to the fix GPS-source GDL90 / Stratux. It was connected to the STRATUX WLAN and it worked well. When I switch on the engine, the power supply to Stratux gets interruppted and it starts again. Hence the WLAN connection is interrupted. After a ferw seconds WLAN is available again and the iPad connects. Then the message appears "GPS source changed" and the  application hangs. Yesterday it took me several restarts of the application until it worked again. I will see that I find a better power bank for the Stratux but I hope, also the stability of the app can be improved.

Best regards

Jörg  

Beta tester

Hi Rob,

on my device the freeze happens also in "non-flight-mode".
I will test during the weekend again and will hopefully be able to report more details to find the bug.

Greetings,
Torben

Jörg Walther
Beta tester

Eminent Member

@rob-weijers

Hi Rob,

I received the STRATUX device today, thank you for sending ist back.

I hope ist was a little help. 

Best regards

Jörg

Admin

Noble Member

@joerg-walthert-online-de Hi Jörg! It was of great help, and definitely made solving the problem easier. It was also very nice to meet you !

Jörg Walther
Beta tester
Topic starter
Eminent Member

Hi Rob

Actually, I switch on all devices before I start rolling from the hangar to the runway so that is not the rootcause.

I don't really know why it takes the iPad/app several minutes to switch to the different GPS source.

I will try two things:

1. Leave the bluetooth mouse off but automatic selection on.

2. Turn automatic GPS selection off and set it to GDL90 Stratux.

Then I will see if either the change to flight mode causes freezing or the change of the GPS source.

Probably I will not be able to fly before the next weekend, but I'll let you know my findings asap.

best regards

Jörg

1 Reply
Beta tester

Hi

I am glad, that I am not the only one 😉
Unfortunatly the app will not work for me at all on my IPAD (also without internal GPS).
If I start the app without connection to an external GPS everything works well. Even if I am connected to a normal WIFI (at home), the app works and the aircraft position is shown due to the WIFI location.
If I am in the plane and connect to a Mobile-Phone-Hotspot or to the WIFI-Modul from Air-Avionics the app freezes. 
I tried in different ways to have a workaround, but everytime I connect to an external device the app is freezing. 

Greetings,
Torben

Jörg Walther
Beta tester
Topic starter
Eminent Member

Hi Torben

as faras I know with the iPad you can only use the GNS2000 bluetooth mouse, other don't work. 

And my iPad4 mini can use either bluetooth or WiFi GLD0 Stratux / SkyEcho.

The problem I have is when automatic selection is enabled and the device switches from internal (iPda: bluetooth) to GDL90, then it crashes. A second start usually works and then I have no problem for hours of flight. 

This happened on my iPad and at leastonce on my iPhone as well. 

best regards

Jörg

Admin
Noble Member

Hi guys, just a small update on what we’ve been doing last two weeks. We spent almost everyday simulator testing flights using Ubi’s xconn and fsx (so we had some fun also ;-)) using both gdl90 and flarm protocol working on improving stability. 

We did solve some issues, but we also managed to reproduce a freeze on a specific simulated flight from ehle->edny that took us the last week to nail. It looks like a deadlock between the background warnings thread, vpv and location updates. 

So after two weeks we start to feel a bit comfortable again; next week we will continue simulator testing with plan to release on friday. We try to clear a few annoyances and bugs, and improved tablet landscape usage significantly (we think ;-)).

We’re in need for some actual flying also. Maybe its an idea if COVID allows to meet with a few of you somewhere in germany at an airfield bringing  development gear and do some test/debug flying together if the problem keeps persisting 🙂

1 Reply
Jörg Walther
Beta tester

Eminent Member

@rob-weijers

If time and weather allows, I'd certainly would come to participate in som real flight tests. Where would you like to organise these tests? We have space and shelters here at my airfield (EDAV) but that is far East in Germany, I think you will prefer something more in the West.

Best regards

Jörg

Admin
Noble Member

EDAV is indeed quite a ride, but Tim is going on a glider flying camp upcoming two weeks at EDOV. Maybe thats a nice in-between meeting point? From Tim I understood there is plenty of hangar space. I feel a plan is starting to get born..... 😉

My cart
Your cart is empty.

Looks like you haven't made a choice yet.