14 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
leif
 leif
Beta tester
Topic starter
Prominent Member

The present sorting of Notams on the flightplaning window is by type.  This is impractical.

It sounds logical that warning Notams are displayed first.   But they actually consist mostly of model flying activities.

The airfield section is also sorted by type.  This means that the Departure and Destination Notams are scattered around.  All enroute airports are also mentioned in between.  The order depends on the apparent importance, not the location.

13 Replies
Admin
Noble Member

We have no control of how NOTAMS are classified (warning, enroute or airport). You can delete or hide those model flying activity NOTAMS if you wish, you will not see them again then.

Try disabling airfield notams using maplayer->notams->Hide Airport notams. This will show only the airfields in your route on a NOTAM briefing and leave out all the other airfields.

leif
 leif
Beta tester
Topic starter
Prominent Member

Hi Rob,  I understand that you have no control over the classification, but I believe you could control the order of appearance.

yes, when I hide the airport NOTAMS, they are not so confusing. But this is not the solution.

The airfield Notams for a given flightpath are presently a puzzle.    (see pic for EDRY).  And the general order has nothing to do with the flightpath.

This should be improved so that an airport will not appear in the middle of another airport.

For example:   1. Departure and Destination   , 2. enroute airports in the order of the flightpath.

leif
 leif
Beta tester
Topic starter
Prominent Member

I just found out how a previously hidden or discarded NOTAM can be reset in the map layer menu.  This is not very intuitive.  I believe the reset button should be on the same Notam Tab from which they were hidden.

Admin
Noble Member

The upcoming version will have NOTAMS on the NOTAM briefing for a route within each group (WARNING, ENROUTE,AIRFIELD) sorted by distance from departure airfield.

1 Reply
leif
 leif
Beta tester

Prominent Member

Rob, sorry to say that this does not yet work in V938.

I find one destination airfield NOTAM sneaks in front of the departure NOTAMs.  Just a single one that does not obey the distance rule.

leif
 leif
Beta tester
Topic starter
Prominent Member

Very nice !  It will enhance the experience.

This is what the NTSB found out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWLPDOXF7e4

leif
 leif
Beta tester
Topic starter
Prominent Member

One more topic are FILTERED NOTAMS.  I don’t know how these filters work, but tapping a location close to the DANISH border will filter NOTAMS for Somalia, Pakistan and Jemen.  Can that be improved?

Admin
Noble Member

These NOTAMS are publshed by the German Authorities, once in a while updates are done. We talked about deleting them from our NOTAM system automatically so nobody would get to bother about it, but we decided we should not "play master" by deleting NOTAMS, its slippery ice we concluded. Best is to simply delete these NOTAMS yourself, they wont show up anymore after that (unless the authorities create a new one). 

Heli.Lamb
Beta tester
Estimable Member

One more topic are FILTERED NOTAMS.  I don’t know how these filters work, but tapping a location

What exactly does the word "filtered" mean on the side of the NOTAMs? Is it simply that the NOTAM Map Layer settings are set to not show those particular items on the moving map?

1 Reply
Admin

Noble Member

the red "Filtered"  label rotated 90 degrees on the left side of a NOTAM in QuickInfo or the NOTAM briefing for a route indeed indicates the NOTAM is not displayed graphically on the moving map. This does not mean this NOTAM is not interesting for you as user (see further). 

The "Filtered NOTAMs" header on the same windows however indicate these NOTAMS are filtered due to NOTAM filter settings 

Maybe this two times using of "Filtered" with different meanings on the same window is confusing.....Lets think of some better phrase.

Heli.Lamb
Beta tester
Estimable Member

Maybe this two times using of "Filtered" with different meanings on the same window is confusing.....Lets think of some better phrase.

Yes I think you might be right. I've noticed that sometimes the red 90 degree "FILTERED" is click-able to display a location circle but sometimes it is not (I've no idea why this is). It's therefore not really appropriate to re-name it "Not displayed" which was the first thing that came to mind.

Stewart Buckingham
Honorable Member

A few suggestions to start the discussion running:-

The notams with the 90 degree rotated "filtered" annotation seem to be either "non-geographic" (e.g. "Don't fly a Boeing 787 wherever you are") or cover a broad area (e.g. Don't fly to Iraq"). Unfortunately I think it would not be practical to automatically determine which of these types a particular NOTAM corresponds to, so how about "Generic" or "Unplotted" or even "Generic (not plotted)"

The notams which are not shown because the USER has decided he does not want to see them should, I think, make it VERY clear that these are there directly as a result of user action. So how about "User-suppressed".

BTW, does this list include both those "suppressed" by the "blind eye" button AND those "suppressed" by the trashcan button, or are the latter ones entirely deleted from the system (unless/until they are recovered) and so do not appear at all anywhere (except in the "and don't forget you hid these" section of the TripKit)?

Heli.Lamb
Beta tester
Estimable Member

"Generic (not plotted)"

I'd be careful with "generic" it could imply not important and sometimes they are. Like this week, for example, Leeds Bradford CTR CTA ATZ are closed/open at random times again and it has "filtered" down the side. Maybe the problem here is the lack of display rather than the choice of word!

The notams which are not shown because the USER has decided he does not want to see them should, I think, make it VERY clear that these are there directly as a result of user action. So how about "User-suppressed".

Agreed. "Filtered" would be OK if this only applies to ones that we have chosen to filter "user filtered" maybe.

"suppressed" by the "blind eye" button AND those "suppressed" by the trashcan button

From observation, these are removed completely and both work the same but are added to different lists. I think the idea was to have the trash list synchronised across all devices?

My cart
Your cart is empty.

Looks like you haven't made a choice yet.