Share:
Notifications
Clear all

First Impressions

f462cecaeb0fabecc25b278e2259c5b0?s=80&d=retro&r=g
Beta tester
Topic starter
Trusted Member

Ok so I've had access to EV4 for a couple of weeks now and here's my first impressions having had a play with it and run it in my car. 

1. It looks good but doesn't seem the big step forward fro EV3 that I'd expected from the website promo. This is possibly not a bad thing - the more I use EV3 the more I like it, I've been a long time user of RunwayHD and only aquired EV3 at the beginning of the year because my new plane has a Dynon EFIS. 

2. The mapping is a real disappointment .. the web site says "The new vector map engine in EasyVFR 4 displays incredible detail at unprecedented performance. You can zoom in from global overview to treetop level at the flick of a finger, with continuous visual quality at all zoom levels." whereas in reality it only shows major roads and doesn't show built up areas even to the detail of the standard UK 1:250,000 chart. Some very large towns are simply shown with a dot even at the highest zoom level, this doesn't assist in situational awareness or manual confirmation of GPS location at all. The zoom in feature available only in the atz zone is fairly pointless being so small at most airfields and will be completely superfluous once georeferenced plates become available. I'd expected something much closer (although maybe not to that level)  to the zoom level available round airfields generally. 'Treetop level" is misleading at best. 

3. The software is a lotr more Beta than I'd expected to the extent that it's missing a lot of features that make it unusable in actual flight in preference to EV3  - airspace labels, warnings, plates being the primary ones I'd want to see before I tried using it as a primary source in my aircraft. 

4. The zoom and pan feature on the vertical view is great when planning but almost unusable in flight mode. When using it in the car it was impossible to keep it at a usable level of zoom - it would keep resetting to 50 miles across the screen, zooming moves the aircraft off the screen so it's necessary to zoom then pan and then it only lasts a couple of minutes before the zoom resets. Zoomed out the information on the screen is unusable/unreadable.  

I'd add a screenshot but can't see an add image button ??

Please take these comments as constructive critisism, EV4 looks like it has promise, just some way from being the finished article. 

Regards

Russ

4 Replies
f462cecaeb0fabecc25b278e2259c5b0?s=80&d=retro&r=g
Beta tester
Topic starter
Trusted Member
IMG 0008

Found the upload button so heres what I'm talking about on the vertical view - with the bit I want to see marked. (Ipad mini 5)

leif
 leif
Beta tester
Prominent Member

I agree with Russ, especially point 3.

However, it seems that in Germany the maps are more detailed.  My small town has the correct contouring.  

But it seems a long way, before this Version is airworthy.  Just while playing with the above mentioned zoom and pan, my flightplan crashed.  The line was still on the map, but no details could be looked up or changed.   

There are many bugs in V3  and  I was told 6months ago, that no work will be dedicated anymore to updating V3, as the new V4 will solve most problems.  Well, I wonder.  We may be sitting between chairs.

Leif

a0794159f1cc2f4ea8c5e73830745f84?s=80&d=retro&r=g
Admin Beta tester, Translator
Prominent Member

Good morning Russ,

Thank you for taking the time to explain your first impression. 

1. It looks good but doesn't seem the big step forward fro EV3 that I'd expected from the website promo. This is possibly not a bad thing - the more I use EV3 the more I like it, I've been a long time user of RunwayHD and only aquired EV3 at the beginning of the year because my new plane has a Dynon EFIS. 

1) Glad to hear that you are getting used to EV3. Although the user interface and map is improved in EV4, the functionalities and philosophy are indeed similair. There is almost 20 years of experience and user feedback in it, so we won't trough the baby out with the bathwater. The basic reason for EV4 is that it is ready to do much more than that.

2. The mapping is a real disappointment .. the web site says "The new vector map engine in EasyVFR 4 displays incredible detail at unprecedented performance. You can zoom in from global overview to treetop level at the flick of a finger, with continuous visual quality at all zoom levels." whereas in reality it only shows major roads and doesn't show built up areas even to the detail of the standard UK 1:250,000 chart. Some very large towns are simply shown with a dot even at the highest zoom level, this doesn't assist in situational awareness or manual confirmation of GPS location at all. The zoom in feature available only in the atz zone is fairly pointless being so small at most airfields and will be completely superfluous once georeferenced plates become available. I'd expected something much closer (although maybe not to that level)  to the zoom level available round airfields generally. 'Treetop level" is misleading at best. 

2) I'm sorry that the text misleads you. Although the engine is ready for what is written on the website and we have all the data to be highly detailed in the whole world. We choose for this stage of beta testing to only render the high details once you zoom in properly. And only download the ground-level details in a small circle around airfields on your device. It is all just some settings in the software. We can change those settings to increase the render hights and data volume but choose for now to keep it less heavy since we have to do several deleting and installations per day and keep the focus on improving functionalities and debugging. For example, downloading this high quality of geographical details for a country like Belgium is already 500 to 800 MB. So yeah... it is going to be as described but we have to find the perfect balance between performance and the amount of information you see per zoom level.
It  is on the voting list:  https://easyvfr4.aero/community/campfire/provide-the-same-level-of-detail-outside-airfield-circles-as-is-within-airfield-circles/

3. The software is a lotr more Beta than I'd expected to the extent that it's missing a lot of features that make it unusable in actual flight in preference to EV3  - airspace labels, warnings, plates being the primary ones I'd want to see before I tried using it as a primary source in my aircraft. 

3) Totally true. That is one of the reasons that we keep on supporting EV3 until 4 is better in every way. And to be honest, we hoped to be further on the developing road by now. But it is going to be worth it. Rob found some big bugs, with the next update he suspects a strong decrease in crashes on most iOS devices and Android. If that is true, we can bring the focus back on functionalities and features. Working out all those great ideas.

4. The zoom and pan feature on the vertical view is great when planning but almost unusable in flight mode. When using it in the car it was impossible to keep it at a usable level of zoom - it would keep resetting to 50 miles across the screen, zooming moves the aircraft off the screen so it's necessary to zoom then pan and then it only lasts a couple of minutes before the zoom resets. Zoomed out the information on the screen is unusable/unreadable.  

4) (@rob-weijers) can you do something with this?

Please take these comments as constructive critisism, EV4 looks like it has promise, just some way from being the finished article. 

I thank you for your honest feedback. It's really appreciated and helps us to focus on what's important.

Blue skies!

Tim

5c1242ce1c84de60ae1ea618ae44df33?s=80&d=retro&r=g
Admin
Famed Member

Thanks for your constructive feedback Russ, much appreciated. Our whole team is working hard to get EV4 as soon as possible to a state where we can remove the "beta" status. You will see weekly (sometimes bi-weekly) improvements appear.

Share:
My cart
Your cart is empty.

Looks like you haven't made a choice yet.