Beta [Oben angepinnt] 4.1.415 (24MAY2023) Discover Scenic Sights
We're thrilled to announce the latest version of EasyVFR 4! 🚀 This update brings not only the usual bug fixes and improvements but also a significant new feature that a part of the team has been working on for a long time.
🏛️ Introducing the AeroData Layer with Scenic Sights
We're excited to introduce a new feature in EasyVFR 4 - the AeroData layer with Scenic Sights!
Discover Through Route Building
With EasyVFR 4, you can now reveal Scenic Sights on your map by building routes or planning local flights. Scenic Sights are landmarks, which include historic buildings, iconic monuments, and much more, that are clearly visible from the air and are just waiting for you to be discovered. Not only do these landmarks add an element of discovery to your journey, but they serve as handy VFR waypoint references also. So, don't hesitate, start experimenting with your routes and let the adventure begin!
Our new AeroData layer features Scenic Sights across most of Western Europe. These aerial points of interest come with a wealth of information, including photographs and engaging descriptions. The countries currently covered include:
- The Netherlands
- United Kingdom
We currently offer 1,598 scenic sight locations, each carefully handpicked to enhance your VFR flying experience. And the good news doesn't stop there - we're planning to expand the Scenic Sights database soon by allowing users to upload interesting sights. So, stay tuned for more exciting updates!
👉 How to enable Scenic Sights?
- This new AeroData layer is currently in beta, so you'll need to sign up as a beta tester before you can enable it. To view the scenic sights, go to the EasyVFR 4 menu -> myEasyVFR, scroll down, and switch the beta toggle on.
- Due to its beta status, this feature must be manually enabled by using the menu -> Preferences -> Enable Scenic locations. Please note that there are minimum RAM requirements for this AeroData to function. If your device does not meet these requirements, a message will be displayed and the feature cannot be enabled.
- Update All Data via Status dot -> Data -> AeroData -> [Update All Data].
Tap for Detailed Information
By tapping on any Scenic Sight icon, you can access comprehensive details about the location. This feature enriches your understanding of the captivating landmarks that you'll come across during your flight.
Easy Integration of Scenic Sights as Waypoints
Adding Scenic Sights to your route is easy. Just drag the route line to a Scenic Sight icon, and it will snap into place as a new waypoint. For EasyVFR Pro and FFM users, an additional tab in the route window lists all Scenic Sights along the route, complete with photos and descriptions.
(Suggested Scenic Sights in Route Planning menu - Pro and FFM only)
🛩️ New Aircraft types
We now support Trike, Paramotor, Paraglider, Balloon, and Autogyro aircraft types. You can find these under the EasyVFR 4 menu -> Aircraft.
We're pleased to announce that all Canadian provinces are now part of EasyVFR 4. AeroData and geographical data for all Canadian provinces, Canadian METARs & TAFs, and Canadian NOTAMS have been implemented. Advanced WX coming soon. To enable a Canadian region tap on the Status dot -> Data -> Select Countries.
For Dynon SkyView users there is even more Canada news: Unveiling Our New Canadian VNC-Style Chart For Dynon
We eagerly await your feedback on the new Scenic Sight feature and other improvements.
Fly safe and happy navigating!
Team EasyVFR 4
📝 RELEASE NOTES
- NEW: Introduction of the AeroData Layer with Scenic Sights.
- NEW: Easy integration of Scenic Sights as waypoints to routes.
- NEW: Detailed information is available for each Scenic Sight.
- NEW: Beta testing for the new AeroData layer.
- NEW: Support for new aircraft types: Trike, Paramotor, Paraglider, Balloon, Autogyro.
- NEW: Inclusion of all Canadian provinces in EasyVFR 4, with AeroData, geographical data, METARs & TAFs, and NOTAMs.
- FIXED: When reversing a route and then filing that route would result in the calculations of FIR border times to still holding the ones from the original flight.
- FIXED: Sometimes Dynon Data Exchange ended up in an endless loop waiting for EFB catalog data
- FIXED: On newer Android devices a small area at the top and bottom of the screen was not used.
- FIXED: When using uAvionix SkyEcho EC device together with SafeSky this duplicate filtering did not work.
📥 BETA DOWNLOADS
📱 Mobile & Tablet
🍏 iOS, iPadOS, and Apple Silicon Mac
- 64-bit and 2GB RAM.
- iPad Air 2 and higher.
- iPad Mini 4 and higher.
- iPhone 6S and higher.
The iPad Mini 5 and newer, and any iPad Pro perform extremely well.
- Install the Apple TestFlight app via the Apple AppStore.
- Go to the following URL to download the latest version of EasyVFR 4 via TestFlight.
👉 Open the EasyVFR 4 page in the Apple TestFlight app
IMPORTANT: Devices with the old 32-bit Android OS are not supported
- 64-bit OS, +3GB RAM. Android 10 and higher is advised.
We have good results with:
- Huawei MediaPad M5.
- Xiaomi Mi Pad 4.
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (except SM-T810).
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S4, S6, and higher.
- Most modern smartphones.
- Google Play: You can download the beta directly via Google Play when enrolled in the betaprogram on the Google Play app page.
👉 Open the EasyVFR 4 page in Google Play to enrole for beta
- Sideload (alternative): To install you must enable the option: "Allow the installation of apps from sources other than Play store" in Android Settings, Lock screen and Security. Some Android devices require you to tap&hold the link below, then choose [Download link] to store the APK on your device from where you then can install this downloaded APK.
Download APK https://members.pocketfms.com/WebProgramDownloads/EasyVFR4/EasyVFR4_4.1.415.apk
💻 Desktop and Laptop
- 32-bit, 2GB RAM, Windows 8 and higher is advised.
🍎 Intel Macs
IMPORTANT: Intel Macs on Big Sur and Monterey need to have the latest macOS version 11.6.1 or 12.0.1 or higher installed.
Intel-based Macs can only install the below .dmg file and need to follow the below instructions.
- Most 64-bit macOS versions. E.g. High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina. BigSur 11.6.1 and Monterey 12.0.1 and up.
- Apple Silicon M1 and greater macs can download via the iOS AppStore.
- After downloading the DMG file, open it and drag the EasyVFR 4 icon into the Applications folder. EasyVFR 4 is now available via Launchpad.
- When you get the message "EasyVFR4.app can’t be opened because it was not downloaded from the App Store" choose [Open in Finder] from that popup, then right-click on EasyVFR4.app and choose open. Now the same popup will appear, now with a [Open] button.
- From there on you can launch EasyVFR 4 from the launchpad without this warning.
- With every update, you need to redo step 2. 🔄
collecting Scenic Places requires at least 3.5GB of RAM, as indicated by a pop-up when activating it. Unfortunately, my Samsung A7 tablet has about 3GB of RAM only, and much of that is already occupied by the system. So I can't activate this new feature. An option to load Scenic Places by country would be great. Or are those 3.5GB already needed for D-A-CH only??
Thanks for your question!
The Scenic Sights feature in the Route Planning menu can take up quite a bit of memory, especially when many locations are found for a route and users quickly scroll through. For now, we've allocated substantial memory to ensure a smooth experience, but we're always working on optimization.
This isn't tied to the number of activated countries. The Scenic Sights content isn't downloaded until you create a route, then the relevant locations along your path are pulled down.
We're dedicated to refining memory usage and our goal is to make this feature more efficient, aiming to reduce the required RAM in the upcoming releases.
Super new feature guys!
1. With the preference turned off, it still shows the scenic icons all over the map - I'd expect them to be removed from map display.
2. With a 6th 'tab' now in the [Aerodata, AD, airspace, NOTAM, weather, Scenic] display window, you must now allow wrapping of the <> arrows to get from far right to far left by 1 tap to the right (and vice versa)...
Anyone who insists arrow wrapping is not needed (the reason I was given for the last time this request was rejected) simply needs to not use it!
Thanks for reaching out about the issue with Scenic Sights. Even after you've switched it off in your settings, it seems like it's still showing up on your map. This might be because any Scenic Sights data that was already downloaded can still appear. But don't worry, there's a quick fix for this. You can manually turn off Scenic Sights on the map by going to 'Map Layers', then 'AeroData', and finally, clicking on 'Scenic Sights'.
About your other point on the Quick info window: I completely agree with you! I think it would be great if it worked like a carousel, where you can easily flip through the information. I've put this suggestion on our list for future updates. For now, you can use the small square dots to quickly jump to the page you want.
Thanks for your feedback. It really helps us make our app better.
yes, all scenic data icons stay on the map until you Stop Route & open a new one… I get the workround thanks (a bit more clicking/scrolling), but is the [switched off, but still showing] bug also going to be fixed?