9 Beiträge
3 Benutzer
0 Likes
1,267 Ansichten
Spiros Economou
Themenstarter
Eminent Member
Beigetreten: Vor 5 Jahren

On my iPad mini 4 the performance is really slow. I upgraded to the latest release 4.0.614 but it still is slow. Map rendering time is still very slow and also the overall performance. Other similar apps with high res maps are running very fast on this iPad.

8 Antworten
Vincent Fischer
Beta tester
Trusted Member

I am also encountering this, but only just recently (since once of the recent software updates??). Had the issue during a trip from Switzerland to Slovenia over the weekend. Every touch of the screen took a looooooooong time to take effect (didn't time it, but even a small zoom took what seemed like up to a minute during which time the screen was frozen). Makes it esssentially unusable in flight. Could it be that EVFR4 is trying to update wx, notams, etc over a non-existent internet connection?

For info, I reduced the number of countries to 4 which was needed for this trip: Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia, and Italy.

I have taken the suggestion to heart to only activate necessary countries for each trip. However, there seems to be a bug in this area with Spain. Don't know if that's related to the problem.  I deselected all countries in the moving map section except those listed above. However, although Spain is NOT selected on the moving map (appears in light green), Spain is still listed along with the 4 countries above on the AeroData Validity Info page.

Cheers,

Vince

Antwort
Spiros Economou
Themenstarter
Eminent Member

Well , in my case I have installed Italy only -and only for trial reasons since I'm in Greece- I do have an internet connection and had the the app running really slow. Zooming in or out takes too much time, map rendering is slow and i can't imagine how I could use it in flight. On the very same iPad I have two other aviation navigation related apps with hi resolution maps and more than two countries installed and the speed awesome.

Antwort
Admin
Noble Member

Hmmm, we are using an ipad mini 4 internally also, and its performance is pretty ok. Whem you refer to “zooming is slow”, do you mean the actual zooming (either by using pinching or the right-side one finger zoom) or the rebuilding of the map after you released your fingers from the screen?

Antwort
Spiros Economou
Themenstarter
Eminent Member

I mean when you use the right side zooming tool and when pinching. Specially when you zoom in. Rebuilding the map is also slow-that's a different story. When you try to pan the map around it needs several seconds to rebuilt the map.

Antwort
Admin
Noble Member

Hi Spiros, can you compare your ipad mini 4 zooming with this recording I made of ours? There is one catch we still need to solve somehow; if a lot of data is outdated after you start EV4 then EV4 will do a number of downloads that have a big impact on performance. You can check if this is the case by doing menu->Downloads Menu. These downloads will not happen when in flightmode anyway. 

Antwort
Spiros Economou
Themenstarter
Eminent Member
  1. Mine is a bit more sluggish in it's response comparing to yours. Nevertheless I didn't check if it was downloading something in the background, so I don't if this is cause. I'll check it out.
Antwort
Vincent Fischer
Beta tester
Trusted Member

Just a thought, but you mention that downloads will not happen when in flightmode. Is it possible that the presence of a wifi connection when in flightmode will allow EV4 to still attempt downloads? I have my ipad mini 4 connected to a wx app via wifi but without any internet connection. If EV4 tries to use that to connect to the cloud it could cause performance issues.

Antwort
Admin
Noble Member

Hi Vince, 

AFIK when in flightmode all downloads should be suspended. But maybe something else is trying to connect to the internet and slows things down? I will setup a test next week to be sure EV4 does not do any download activity when in flightmode.

Antwort
Mein Warenkorb
Dein Warenkorb ist leer.

Sieht so aus, als hättest du noch keine Wahl getroffen.