0 Likes
1,148 Ansichten
 sky
Beta tester
Themenstarter
Eminent Member
Beigetreten: Vor 5 Jahren

Hi,

Version 4.0.582 seems gotten better in background operation.

I have to start much more other apps till it is restarted (taking 40-60s) when I switch back to.

Just a quick look to Pilots Weather App, chrome, etc doesn't seem to stop it anymore.

XCSoar is open source as far I know and has even better background operation and full screen, 
may be just a look at that source helps improving.

5 Antworten
 sky
Beta tester
Themenstarter
Eminent Member

What say the Marmelade guys about permanent background operation and full full-screen?

Antwort
Admin
Noble Member

Please be aware you got  4.0.582 directly from Tim to test only a specific change we did in downloading data. There is a lot NOT working yet, so best is to revert back to the latest version available through this forum. Please communicate issues about 4.0.582 only via Tim via our helpdesk system and not via this forum.

regarding background persistance, apart from reducing memory usage there is nothing a developer can do to prevent getting killed by Android  when in the background. It depends on memory occupied by the background apps, and memory needed by the currently running foreground app, and the various settings the manufacturer has given to their Android implementation. Some devices with 3GB run EV3/EV4 almost permanent in memory while others with the same amount terminate background apps immediately. 

Antwort
 sky
Beta tester
Themenstarter
Eminent Member

So you have no explanation for the better background operation of the version I've got?

I don't believe there is nothing which can be done for permanent background operation.

Other permanent in background Apps have an entry in the notification bar.

You should research that.

Antwort
1 Antwort
Admin

Noble Member

Indeed I have no other explanation for the better background behavior, other then something on your device has influenced it.

Please be aware those “permanent” background apps you refer to are often not apps, but services. We did a lot of research in the past to see how to influence background operations on Android, and services is the only really useful solution. But rewriting EV in a services/UI way would be extremely expensive because it would mean a significant fork in our multiplatform development system, basically meaning a seperate development for Android. Unfortunately we don’t see how those investments would ever come to get paid back.

some links in this subject you might find interesting :

https://updato.com/how-to/manage-android-apps-running-background/

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-keep-any-app-permanently-alive-in-the-background-in-Android

Antwort
 sky
Beta tester
Themenstarter
Eminent Member

So the Marmelade Framework provides nothing to help with that?

Have you ever asked for improving that?

Antwort
Mein Warenkorb
Dein Warenkorb ist leer.

Sieht so aus, als hättest du noch keine Wahl getroffen.