Another Dynon EasyVFR chart question

4 Beiträge
2 Benutzer
0 Likes
1,239 Ansichten
Themenstarter
Trusted Member
Beigetreten: Vor 5 Jahren

I'd just like to make sure before splashing out £80 for the chart that it doesn't display the text upside down when heading south with track up enabled like for instance the air millions ones do? It doesn't seem the be explicitly stated in the description and all the airspaces in the images that I recognise seem to be displayed north up. 

Thanks

3 Antworten
Stewart Buckingham
Honorable Member

Sadly I'll have to suggest you keep your money in your pocket, then, Russ! As far as the Dynon is concerned, this is just another "paper chart that has bee scanned" (except that it is more like a family of charts at different scales (zoom settings) so unlike your Air Million (or ANY proprietary chart overlay or plate) as you zoom in, a more detailed map appears, and as you zoom out less detail is shown). The town names, etc, are "just patterns of light and dark drawn on the map" so if you rotate the map, you rotate the text as well. That is the only sort of chart overlay the Dynon or any other panel system can deal with. To have text that is always the right way up you have to have all the text stored separately from the map, with a lat/long tag for each name, and you have to have software that finds the necessary name, works out if in needs to draw it and if so, where on the screen to put it. The Dynon DOES have software to do that  for the data it gets from our aerodata and Obs Data files, but not for text within the maps. And also, the Dynon system always stops showing aerodata items if there is a chart being displayed, to avoid showing the same details twice (possibly not at exactly the same point). So while omitting the town names from the scanned map woudl have been possible, there would then not have been any names at all because the town names in the aerodata we provide woudl be "turned off" within the Dynon whenever a chart is being displayed.

In other words, it is the way it is because doing anything else is not possible without at very least rewriting pat of the core Dynon system software, which obviously we are not in a position to do! Sorry!

Antwort
Themenstarter
Trusted Member

Thanks for the reply Stuart, definitely not worth £80 to me then I’m afraid. I’ll just stick to running SD/EasyVFR alongside on the tablet. At the speed I travel the zoom feature is no use to me. I have the dynon set up with a custom colour scheme to most closely represent the Uk airspace. The updating of the chart in line with the monthly airspace update cycle does at least address the issue of not displaying updated airspace which for me madet he air millions chart unuseable. Had it been UK and nearby France for £20 I might have taken a punt on it but I don’t need the whole of Europe. Great to see that the dynon is being fully supported though and products developed for it. Sorry I don’t feel able to support you this time. 

Antwort
Stewart Buckingham
Honorable Member

Thanks, Russ, I understand your position. This chart is currently the first edition of a very new product and we have a number of ideas for exciting radical future developments and enhancements, so we very much welcome any feedback. What we have on offer now may not "float your boat" but please do keep an eye on the developments you see emerging over future months, you might find some interesting surprises!

Antwort
Mein Warenkorb
Dein Warenkorb ist leer.

Sieht so aus, als hättest du noch keine Wahl getroffen.