WiFi usb Stick

26 Berichten
7 Gebruikers
0 Vind-ik-leuks
2,245 Bekeken
Topic starter
Deelgenomen: 4 jaar geleden

The Download  menu  in VFR4.

Dynon shows in expert  mode   the ability  to send the data to a WiFi  usb stick

Can anyone  recommend a suitable  WiFi  usb Stick.

The only 1 I can find is the SanDisk  on ebay   from the USA  and quit expensive 

Thanks
Chris
25 reacties
Admin
Noble Member
Deelgenomen: 5 jaar geleden

Chris, that stick would need to be a special prepared one (we call it Avionics Data Wireless USB Stick). We are working on that and hope to provide more information soon.

Beantwoorden
1 reactie
Deelgenomen: 4 jaar geleden

Thanks Rob,

Looking  forward  to this  will make file transfers  so much easier  to my Dynon.

Beantwoorden
Beta tester

Rob, does it mean that with Easyvfr4, the Dynon usb dongle is no more usable to load or download flight plans to  or from the Skyviews ?

It is that I observe while this fonction works perfectly with Easyvfr3.

Beantwoorden
Admin
Noble Member

Hi Chris,

The Dynon WiFi dongle should still work perfectly with EasyVFR4 like with EasyVFR3 to transfer flight plans, no change in functionality there. 

Our AvionicsData Wireless USB stick is a second WiFi bridge that enables transferring of all the "periodically" data like the monthly AeroData updates, Approach plates, ICAO charts using only a phone or a tablet. It replaces the manual downloads a user normally has to do from various parts of our website. We had hoped this would be made possible by Dynon over their own wifi module, but unfortunately this isn't high on their development list. Since a lot of users ask for a method other then via a desktop PC to update their Dynon we decided to develop our own solution, even if its not 100% perfect. We'll see if its a solution for those users.

Beantwoorden
Beta tester

Thanks Rob for your quick reply,

I spend some time this afternoon to try to transfer in both directions, via EasyVFR 4.0.821, a flight plan (route) to a Dynon SkyView HDX, unsuccessful.

The background color of the buttons "SkyView Get/Send Route" and "WiFi to/from other EasyVFR" remains grey and seems to be not activ.

I would like to point out that when I use EasyVFR 3.97 (same devices), this works quite well.

Bug or not ? Any idea or solution ?

Samsung Galaxy tab S6

Dynon SkyView HDX + Dynon usb WiFi adapter

Beantwoorden
1 reactie
Admin
Deelgenomen: 6 jaar geleden

Honorable Member

@cmontenachgmail-com

Hi Christian,

I have just done some tests. It turns out that in order to Get/Send a Route over the SkyView Wi-Fi network, Androids mobile data needs to be disabled. Once you have send/received the route, you can turn mobile data back on. GPS sharing seems not to be affected by this bug.

Could you please verify that this workaround also works at your setup?

Cheers,
Tim

Beantwoorden
Admin
Noble Member

As far as we know there are no problems with Dynon WiFi flightplan transfer. I can't check right now because due to COVID we're all working from home, and I don't have a unit here. But I asked Tim to double check its still working using the unit he has at home. 

Make sure btw, you DO NOT run both EV3 and EV4 at the same time. The flightplan transfer is using TCP, and I think EV3 will keep the ports open if its still in the background.

First thing you must check is menu->system->location (GPS) source; the option "Dynon SkyView (UDP) should be bright green there. If that's the case and it still doesn't work, I suspect EV3 is keeping the port open in the background avoiding EV4 to use it. 

As soon as I hear back from Tim I will let you know our own test result.

Beantwoorden
Admin
Noble Member

Tim just reports back he has no problems with transferring flight plans to his SkyView HDX. What he did noted however was he had to turn off the mobile connection on his Android phone (so only WiFi was enabled) to make it work.

Beantwoorden
1 reactie
Beta tester

Hi Rob, HI Tim

Thanks for your precious informations, I'll implement them in the upcoming days (hangar is far from home...) and give you a reply as soon as possible.

Cheers

Beantwoorden
Beta tester

Hello,

The result of a lot of tests is  unfortunately negative. WiFi over SkyView network is well working between HDX 1100 and tablet but EasyVfr 4 refuses to communicate with.

It still suspect a software malfunction at this level with this Android version. Quick reminder, the tablet is a WiFi only Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 running Android 10.

May be another user in a same situation could confirm that in the near future. Meanwhile, I will continue to use EasyVfr 3 in flight.

Cheers.

Beantwoorden
Eminent Member
Deelgenomen: 3 jaar geleden

Hi all, 

it seems I have the same problem. To send a route (WiFi) from EasyVFR3 to my Dynon HDX 1100 works well but not with VFR4- the buttons are grey and I cannot touch it.

I closed the VFR3 Version (probably some ports are blocked) but still the same.

I am connected with an IPAD PRo (latest SW Version) -

I can see the WiFi works. I tried in the System Settings several things like Automatic, Internal GPS or Dynon- no success.. any help?...

Beantwoorden
Admin
Noble Member

Hi Konrad,

Sorry for the troubles you are experiencing. I would like to write a small step-by-step checklist style kind of instructions how to best setup and check the WiFi connection to a Dynon Skyview using EasyVFR4. Please allow me a few days to do so, I need some screenshots taken while connected to a SkyView, but we're currently snowed-in (yes, you won't believe it, we Dutchies are really snowed in since yesterday!) so I hope be able to visit the office wednesday or thursday.

Beantwoorden
Eminent Member

Hi Rob,

many thanks for the immediate response.

Yes, sure- no worries and no Problem. I am happy if I can get some Informations to solve my- and perhaps also other users Problems.
And WOW- you are snowed in? Then I wish you happy snow shovel 🙂

Take care- and I look forward to your response

Konrad

Beantwoorden
Admin
Noble Member

Hi Konrad, 

Please have a look at https://support.easyvfr4.aero/help/dynon-skyview-wifi-flightplan-transfer . I hope it provides some guidance or at least helps by offering a way to let us know at what stage you get stuck so we can find a way to further debug that. 

Beantwoorden
1 reactie

Eminent Member

@rob-weijers

Hi Rob,

many thanks for your Help. Sorry, I am a bit late with my response, I had a few issues with my account- but this is solved.

To my WiFi problem.
I was at the Airfield today and I tried your Description, but unfortunately, the WIFi Send Route Button is still grey. I am connected with my IPad to the Dynon WiFI - this works. Also it works if I sent a route from the EasyVFR 3.XX Version to Dynon- no problem.

One thing... is it perhaps the case, the Plain (Dynon) had no GPS Access because I was in the Hangar (because to could and snowy outside...)- just an Idea...

Beantwoorden
Beta tester

Hello Rob and Konrad,

I have done a lot of tests yesterday and finally succeeded in transferring flight plans on the condition that the Dynon GPS has locked the satellites.

This implies that the aircraft must be outside a hangar with the avionics powered on for some time to permit the GPS to operate normally.

I personally think that this design is slightly less convenient that before but it works.

Rob, I am also interested in a short briefing to use the other function which is the communication between TWO EasyVfr4, a laptop and a tablet running android for example.

I thank you in advance,

Cheers,

Christian.

Beantwoorden
1 reactie

Eminent Member

Hi Christian- and Rob,

many thanks for this Feedback. Today, I had a chance to try it outside at the Hangar with GPS Signal and - yes! It works now.

Again, many thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Konrad

Beantwoorden
Stewart Buckingham
Honorable Member

Thanks for your feedback, Konrad, I'm pleased to hear that it is working. I hope it is not too inconvenient to have to do it outside to get a GPS fix - that appears to be some limitation within the Dynon system, it is certainly not any limitation we would want to enforce!

Beantwoorden
Admin
Noble Member

Hmm, weird dat a GPS fix is required to make the flightplan transfer work. Its not by design at least, and if EV3 doesn't have that requirement we should have a look at it. I will try to spend some time on it next week. 

Regarding Flightplan transfer between easyvfr4 devices using WiFi (a feature EV3 has), that is currently not yet implemented in EV4. Mostly because of the "assumption" most people use either solely android or ios devices, and they can use those platform's native data exchange systems (airdrop for iOS or nearby share for android). Maybe we should prioritize our own implementation a bit higher now if more users would appreciate flightplan transfers between different platforms. 

Beantwoorden
Eminent Member

Hi Rob,

many thanks again for your feedback. Well, at the moment it works so far... The only thing is, I have to have GPS - at the moment ok but of course- better would be the other way, in your description.

I have one more question (if I can ask this here in this conversation) - if you fly, is there any option the Flight is logged and you can see the flight afterwards again or export it into e.g. Google Earth?

>Thank you

Beantwoorden
Stewart Buckingham
Honorable Member

Sorry your posting her has sat unanswered so long, Konrad! The flight is always automatically logged within EasyVFR (3 or 4) if you have that running in flight, but I have no idea at all whether the Dynon system creates its own recording or if so how it could be manipulated or displayed. You will have to check the Dynon documentation, or ask Dynon Support abut that, we are not ourselves Dynon experts!

In EasyVFR4, go Menu>Flightlog Maintenance, select the flight(s) you wish to view, tap the flightlog Tools button, then when the tool screen opens,  select "Show on map", "Export to Google Earth" or "Export to Excel".

HTH

Stu

Beantwoorden
1 reactie

Eminent Member

Hi Stu, all good and thank you for your Reply! 🙂

Beantwoorden
Vincent Fischer
Beta tester
Trusted Member

"WiFi to/from other EasyVFR"

What about this part? I have 2 ipads and an iphone, and all 3 have this "button" greyed out when I'm at home on my house WLAN (as is the SkyView tab, but that is not my interest). What does EasyVFR 4 need in order to change this from greyed out to active state?

Beantwoorden
Stewart Buckingham
Honorable Member

Thanks for your question, Vincent. EasyVFR3 has this function, and provision for it was created in the EasyVFR4 screen layout, but the function itself is not yet implemented in EasyVFR4. It is, of course, on the "to do" list but it's not the highest priority at present. Generally users with multiple devices are on FFM subscriptions, and with that all your routes are automatically synced between all your devices via your personal EasyVFR Cloud. EasyVFR Standard is provided as a cheaper subscription, ideal for users with just  a single device.

The real purpose of the wifi route function was to allow users to share routes with pilot friends that they are flying with (either as "co-pilot or in another aircraft as "wingman"), but - albeit slightly less conveniently - that need can also be achieved (as can your requirement) by the "export to XML" then "email" method.

HTH

Stu

Beantwoorden
Vincent Fischer
Beta tester
Trusted Member

Thanks Stu. I had always assumed that to be the case, until I saw this thread and wondered if there was an issue similar to the Dynon Skyview one. I agree that adding this is not a priority.

Beantwoorden
Mijn winkelwagen
Je winkelwagen is leeg.

Het lijkt erop dat je nog geen keuze hebt gemaakt.