0 Vind-ik-leuks
1,028 Bekeken
leif
 leif
Beta tester
Topic starter
Prominent Member
Deelgenomen: 5 jaar geleden

While airspace data seems to be available almost worldwide, no airports exist outside of the preloaded countries.  Not even inside Europe.  In V3 there was a selection of worldwide international airports, that could be used directly or as a reference point for navigation. 

It would be nice to have a European Basemap, with only major airports and few or even no map details.    

3 reacties
Admin
Noble Member

I see why you are asking this; would be handy for international airline travelers (or pilots ;-)). I do see some problems (how to prevent duplicate airfields when the user has selected countries), but maybe it can be solved with the new user waypoint system somehow. 

Let me have some thoughts about this on a low priority 😉

Beantwoorden
leif
 leif
Beta tester
Topic starter
Prominent Member

you are right about the airline pilots that might want to fly EV4 long distance worldwide.

But anyone playing  or flying  close to any european border would benefit from seeing the neighborhood.  Is it not possible to present airport data for the whole of Europe (like EV3 does today), while topography is loaded only for the selected countries? 

Beantwoorden
Admin
Noble Member

Technically its not an issue, its more "commercially". Since EV4 will have to replace EasyVFR basic UK and EasyVFR Basic NL (free versions of EasyVFR3 with limited functionality and targetted at in-flight use mostly) and we want to do EasyVFR-basic kind of projects in more countries to gain more public knowledge (it has worked quite well in UK and Netherlands). One limitation of EasyVFR basic is its only working in one single country, that is why EV4 has a "by country" approach instead of a "by continent" approach. 

Thoughts that came to my mind already to "solve" this issue is to extract aiport data (or only the bigger airports maybe) to a seperate AeroData layer with minimal data. But we haven't come to a full conclusion how to fit this into the "EasyVFR basic" approach that we need to unfold also. Just not enough hours in a day to think about all the thinks that need some thinking 😉

Beantwoorden
Mijn winkelwagen
Je winkelwagen is leeg.

Het lijkt erop dat je nog geen keuze hebt gemaakt.