Notifications
Clear all

Download airport plates - DYNON Dataset

46 Posts
13 Users
1 Likes
Beta tester
Topic starter

It's not possible to find the download for airport plates (former EFB) for DYNON via USB-Stick.

45 Replies

Good morning, sir,

How to download the data for the DYNON. I have a subscription that worked on version 3, I can't find it for version 4.

Many thanks

Beta tester
Topic starter

Hello,

I have the same problem. I'll see the valid ubscription, but there is no possibility to download the airport charts for the dynon dataset. For this I'm using the older version 3 ...

Admin
Noble Member

The export to Dynon for approach plates is still on the ToDo list for EasyVFR4. It won't take long anymore, I promise.

Trusted Member

Is this still on the to do list ? 

Admin
Noble Member

Yes, definitely! I know we are saying this for a while, but it will be implemented real soon. 

Beta tester

Hello, It's not in order yet ?

Admin
Noble Member

Hi Roland,

The exports to Dynon are fully functional. You can use menu->Downloads menu->Dynon SkyView to download all your AVData,OBData and charts and then copy them together with downloaded approachplates to a memorystick. There is no documentation available yet but that will come soon.

Kind regards,

Rob

Beta tester

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your quick response. I'll try.

Kind regards.

Capture d’écran 2021 02 24 à 16.19.45

Hello

Easyvfr4 is well installed on my Mac M1, I have downloaded the "plates", updated and in green in the download menu, I have inserted an empty USB key formatted in FAT32 in my Mac, but I can't copy them, there is "WAITING for avionics-wireless-usb stick" flashing and the "copy to USB stick" button does nothing. Can you help me ?

Thanks

FG

Stewart Buckingham
Honorable Member

Ah, I think you have stumbled into a flaw with using the IOS version of EasyVFR on an M1 Mac! Until the M1 Mac was created, the IOS version of EasyVFR was only able to run on iPads and iPhones, which of course could not be connected to a memory stick. Instead, we have been developing a special Avionics Wireless-USB stick, which iPads and iPhones can connect to with wifi to load teh data into the stick. This is still at the testing stage at present so these special sticks are not yet available for users. The Windows and MacOS versions of EasyVFR4 expect to download directly to a plugged-in "normal" datastick so do not  need toe wifi method that teh IOS version is offering on your M1 Mac. 

I'm sure we will fix this very soon!

2 Replies

@deeahbtinternet-com

When will this easyVFR4 Wifi Stick available? With IOS 11 EasyVFR 3 don't run anymore and I need to copy the plates I bought at your webpage to my Dynon HDX.

Hello,

I have the same problem: I use the Easy VFR 4.0866 on an Mac (M1), not the IPAD Version. But I cannot copy the plates or something else to an usb flash drive. 

Admin
Noble Member

Hi Eric,

If you are interested in testing the ADS stick to see if it is a possible solution for you then please email your shipping address details to team at easyvfr4 dot aero. Its not 100% perfect yet (if ever at all ;-)), but it does its job more or less ok. We do appreciate active feedback if you participate.

Trusted Member

And even when you get them transferred across your Dynon will only show the airfields with ICAO codes and not the (significant number) of other pooleys plates that our paid for subscription includes. For this reason I am going to move my pooleys subscription to sky demon and downgrade my easy vfr subscription to the aerodata only, I'd been holding out in the expectation that Dynon and EasyVFR would have this issue addressed with the new software but sadly it's not so. 

8 Replies
Admin

Honorable Member

@fmsrussp-co-uk

Hi Russ,

Thank you for your feedback.

Which version are you running? In the previous version, only the plates that you already had downloaded within EasyVFR 4 would be exported to your Dynon USB stick. But there is good news! With the latest beta versions (are stable) all plates for the active countries will be downloaded and exported to your Dynon USB stick.

We are dedicated to improve the Dynon SkyView experience where ever we can and update frequently. New data sharing methods and charts for Dynon SkyView are in the pipeline.

To have the latest features for Dynon SkyView within EasyVFR 4 please enable the beta toggle with your EasyVFR 4 installations at EasyVFR 4 menu -> myEasyVFR.

The downloads are available via https://easyvfr4.aero/beta

Looking forward to your experience with the updated exporter.

Have a pleasant Easter!

Cheers,
Tim

Trusted Member

@timpeter - It wasn't downloading them onto the USB stick  that was the issue - they are on the stick. The Dynon unit is simply unable to access / display any non ICAO plates (Pooleys plates for non ICAO airfields eg, Bolt Head or Finmere) - it sees/displays the ICAO plates (in the same place on the stick) just fine. This is something I brought up with both PocketFMS and Dynon support 18months ago and it was accepted as a problem that needed fixing. I was expecting the new Dynon software to address it - it doesn't!

Admin

Noble Member

@fmsrussp-co-uk I checked our email history, you and I have been talking end 2019 with Dynon technical support about these 7 character non-icao airfield IDs that don't show approach plates on SkyView systems. I provided them with a sample use case back then but never heard anything back either. I just sent them an email asking if they could give a status update, as soon as I hear something I will let you know. 

Trusted Member

@rob-weijers I've been onto Dynon too and apparently it didn't make the V16 update that came out a month or so ago, they've only been aware of the issue over a year! They say they'll try to get it into the next one but judging about how frequently they send out software updates it could easily be 2023 before we see a resolution to this!

Admin

Noble Member

@fmsrussp-co-uk Just received this reply from their technical support : 

Hi Rob,

Talked to engineering and they have pushed this up to V16.2 release which should be out in a month or two.  We simply didn't get it done for V16, it became a huge update for us and
we finally had to draw the line on what got fixed.
So hopefully it doesn't take too long anymore 😉

Trusted Member

Any sign of V16.2 from Dynon Rob? Still cant get plates onto a Dynon and no sign of V16.2 and it's now nearly 4 months rather than the promised month or two... 

Admin

Noble Member

Good question, I will knock on their door tomorrow once more again and report any feedback they provide

Admin

Honorable Member

@fmsrussp-co-uk

Hi Russ,

Sorry, I now realize that I read your message to fast. I was not aware that there is an issue with SkyView to view plates for airfields that don't have an ICAO ident.

I will ask around what is happening here and come back to you.

Cheers,
Tim

Milos Pacal
Beta tester

Hi Guys

I have one USB wireless (edymax) in my Dynon HDX. And second USB flash disk. I can connect to my Dynon HDX and send my FLP to dynon from iPad. I can recived GPS from Dynon to iPad. Bat I can´t send new Avion data and obstacle data to Dynon.

where is problem?

Can be problem with my USB wireless?

or I need original Wireless USB from Dynon avionics?

Thank you

7 Replies

Trusted Member

@milosjplkovo-cz You can't do the Av_data and Obj_data files wirelessly, you have to physically plug in a usb stick with the files on and update using the setup menu. 

Milos Pacal
Beta tester

@fmsrussp-co-uk Thank you. 
1. It is a pity. 🙂

2. Is it technical possible? Send Av_data.

3. So How does it work? Download to flashdisk from iPad. Have you some manual?

Sorry i dont´ understand it. What is it. In EasyVFR4. Waiting for AvionicsData wireless usb stick. I have to have wireless and flash disk in one device?

thank you

Trusted Member

@milosjplkovo-cz download files on your pc, copy to usb drive (stick). Plug usb drive (stick) into your sky view, go into setup menu, update files. It really is that simple. No iPad or iPhone or Wi-fi involved. Good luck as a beta tester of the new Wi-fi stick, hope it works for you.

Milos Pacal
Beta tester

@fmsrussp-co-uk I have been using method 4 years 🙂 . I was looking for better way.

thank you

Trusted Member

@milosjplkovo-cz I guess you could use a wifi enabled usb stick if you want yet another wifi network in your aircraft. https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Connect-32-Wireless-Stick/dp/B00ZCFYDLA?th=1

Admin

Noble Member

@milosjplkovo-cz The avionicsData Wireless usb stick is a project we're working on and is reasonably finished, but still needs some improvements based on first testruns with actual users. For more details see https://support.easyvfr4.aero/help/dynon-skyview-data-exchange-within-easyvfr-4  

Milos Pacal
Beta tester

@rob-weijers

hi Rob 🙂 I want EasyVFR4ADS. :).   that's what I'm looking for.

what is the price?.

where is my czech QuickStart guide :). And your czech translate EasyVFR4.... he wants to specify the translation.

Beta tester

Hi all,

my question may have been answered, but I am getting lost in all the different forums, posts, websides etc.

Generic questions:

1. Approach charts: Is it right that if I have not purchased these (e.g. DFS for Germany), then approach will be shown based on openaip data (e.g. circuit route and circuit height, as well as circuit entrance points)? And if so, is it part of the Aerodata and once installed on the Dynon, it will be displayed even without a USB stick?
  2. NOTAMS: are Notams also up to date if I download the latest AeroData?
  3. How do I get approach charts for Austria?
  4. I have purchased and downloaded approach charts from DFS 2 years ago. If I purchase new ones, is it an abo or a one-off? Also, will they be available in EasyvFR4 as well or only EasyVFR3?

Now to EasyVFR4....

Unfortunately, the program on Windows is reeeeeally slow and instable. When I click on downloading data (I have selected Germany, Austria, Siwtzerland), it takes forever and actually does not continue downloading at all (and my internet connection is very fast).... It just is not working......

So what to do?

Thanks guys,

Sunit

Stewart Buckingham
Honorable Member

Let's see if I can help you, Sunit!

(1) Approach charts and circuit diagrams.

These can be thought of as falling into 3 categories -

(a) Those available in National AIPs. These can be installed (at no extra cost) as "approach plates" into EasyVFR, and (by having a Frequent Flyer Membership) can also be transferred from EasyVFR onto a memory stick and used on Dynon displays. Unlike the "Aerodata" and "Obstacles" files we can generate for Dynons, for these plates the memory stick has to be kept plugged in to teh Dynon while flying - essentially the Dynons do not have sufficient internal memory to copy in the plates, and teh Dynon internal software does not support internally-stored plates. Note that the degree to which smaller airfields are included in National AIPs varies greatly from country to country. In France, for example, Visual Approach Charts (VAC) for virtually all publicly-accessible airfields are available for free from SIA , while in UK the AIP contains all licenced aerodromes, but that is probably only 50% or less of the airfields that UK GA use, and at the other extreme, in Germany, only major international commercial airports are covered in the AIP for free.

(b) Those not included in the national AIPs but which are published commercially by other organisations. Currently we provide licenced "digital copies" for three such sets of plates - the DFS Anflugkarten for Germany, the SkyGuide plates for Switzerland (where, like Germany, the AIP only covers major international airports), and Pooley's Plates for UK, which cover most UK GA airfields. We have to pay the publishers for the right to provide these plates and we have to recover the cost by charging users for obtaining them from us. Buying a plate set allows you unlimited use of the plates in the set for a year, including all updates issued over the 12 months from the date of purchase. Once purchased, the use and operation of such plates is entirely the same (both in EasyVFR and on Dynons) as for the AIP plates in (a) above. (Note that ONLY plate sets you buy directly from us can be used either on EasyVFR devices or on Dynons we have encountered a few customers who have bought paper or electronic copies of plates directly from Pooleys or DFS who were disappointed to find that ones bought that way could not be used with EasyVFR or with Dynons. This is a consequence of the licencing terms the plate suppliers oblige us to comply with.

(c) Circuit Diagrams. Because plates for Germany can only be obtained by buying an Anflugkarten licence, a group of German enthusiasts created "Platzrunden.txt" - a collection of simple circuit diagrams assembled into a simple text file which covers most German airfields and which is widely available free of charge over the internet. EasyVFR is able to to access an up-to-date copy of that file and to display the circuits on the EasyVFR moving map. These diagrams CANNOT be displayed on Dynon systems - the Dynon internal software contains no means to support such diagrams.

(You will note that there is no mention above of "OpenAIP" data - EasyVFR does not currently access such data and thus there is currently no way by which such data can be provided to a Dynon unit.)

(2) Notams. Notams are entirely separate form Aerodata. Aerodata is updated every 28 days according to to the internationally-established ICAO AERAC cycle, which is why you should download a fresh aerodata & obstacles set for your Dynon every 28 days. Likewise you should also update the aerodata in your EasyVFR for every AERAC cycle. NOTAMs, though, are not subject to any formal distribution cycle; new notams can be published at any time on any day. The only way you can be sure to have all the current NOTAMs that might affect your flight is to do a NOTAM update just before you start the engine - and even then you just might miss one that gets published before you get airborne! Of course a s far as possible organisations that need to get NOTAMs published submit them in good time ahead of them coming into force - at least several days in advance. But occasionally a NOTAM has to be published at zero advance notice - for example if there is a major disaster , there may be a NOTAM issued prohibiting aircraft not involved in assisting with the disaster from operating within xx miles of the incident. So you should always ensure you run a NOTAM download before you sit down to plan your flight, then run a further update just before you fly. You might find it convenient to select "Auto-Update" in the Downloads Menu to force EasyVFR to regularly check for new NOTAMs - though you need to understand that a NOTAM download puts quite a load on the processor and can make EasyVFR somewhat unresponsive to your taps during a download.

The Dynon system has NO CAPABILITY to handle NOTAMs and EasyVFR therefore makes no attempt to pass NOTAM data to your Dynon system. 

(3) Approach charts for Austria. Loke for all countries, if you include Austria in your countries selection for EasyVFR, then do a Plates download, all plates that are freely available in the Austrian AIP will be installed into EasyVFR and become available to transfer to your memory stick for your Dynon. I am not sure how good the coverage of GA airfields is within teh Austrian AIP, but at this time we do not have access to any additional "commercial" plate sets similar to the DFS Anflugkarten that we can sell for Austria. If you are aware of any such commercials plate sets we woudl be interested in trying to set up an arrangement with the publisher so we could offer them for sale.

(4) Purchasing DFS plates. When you purchase a set of plates, you can immediately download them into Version4 and (separately) also into Version 3 on each of your EasyVFR devices, and for the coming 12 months, as often as you like and whenever you like you can run updates (which adds any new plates and removes any outdated ones. When your 12-moth period has ended, the plates you have downloaded will remain on your device and you will continue to be able to use them (though if you transfer them to your Dynon you will get  a "Database-out-of-date" warning - which is a bit misleading because it is NOT the aerodata database that is out of date, it is just the plate set!). But if you buy a new device and install EasyVFR, or even if you entirely remove and reinstall EasyVFR on an existing device, you will not be able to reinstall the expired plates, so you will have no plates om that device until you buy a new plates license.

Finally - EasyVFR4 on Windows. What you are describing is certainly not normal and it indicates something is severely wrong. Unfortunately I don't have any easy suggestions as to what the problem might be, but generally:

- uninstalling and re-installing,

- running with no other apps running,

- making sure that anti-virus or other system software is not also keeping the processor or disk busy at the same time,

- having an unfragmented disk with plenty of spare disk space and free RAM

are all things worth trying.

- One little tip within EasyVFR - once you have started a download, close teh Download Menu pane - you will find the downloads run faster if that is not also displaying.

Also we have seen a few initially very puzzling cases of poor downloading where we eventually found some routers can get upset by the multi-threaded download process EasyVFR uses -  to see if that might be the problem could you please try connecting your laptop via a different router - perhaps at work or at a friends house? If that does give better downloading you may need to experiment with some of the optimisation settings within your router's set-up screen.

Best Regards

Stu B

Team EasyVFR

1 Reply

Hello,

thank you for this very good description.

With my Easy VFR 4 on my Mac the plates for DFS Anflugkarten Germany are already downloaded. But what exactly do I have to do to copy them to an usb drive? I cannot find the menue item to do so. Or is this only possible on Windows?

Best regards,
Lars

Here is what is shown in my Easy VFR 4 

2 Replies
Admin

Noble Member

@larsmartini Hi Lars, from the screen I conclude you are running a Mac M1 ? I conclude this because the screenshot reports [Waiting for AvionicsData Wireless USB stick], while if it was an Intel Mac it would have allowed to select an external drive mounted USB stick. 

Downloading plates for Dynon without a Windows computer is currently almost impossible. Only "older" MacOS Intel devices (up to Catalina, Big Sur is breaking compatibility) are still capable of exporting plates to memorysticks useable by Dynon SkyView systems. 

We are working hard trying to create some kind of universal solution. Although not entirely finished yet (probably still takes 3-4 weeks) is our AvionicsData Wireless USB stick :  A usb stick with a WiFi option that allows *any* EasyVFR4 application to place data on that USB stick. So not only Macs or Windows computers, but also Android and iOS/iPadOS devices. 

A second option that we're working on is using dropbox shared folders. We licensed an unlimited storage/unlimited users based system that will allow us to create a shared directory for each user where we will put all the data into, and that will keep itself updated all the time. The user "only" will have to copy the content of that shared directory every now and then to their USB memorystick. This solution will only work for Windows And MacOS obviously. 

@rob-weijers Thanks for your mail. Do you have an idea, when the dropbox account will work?

Beta tester

Hi guys,

thanks for the previous prompt responses, very helpful.

Now, another problem though. I have installed EVFR4 on my Mac, and the following pop-up keeps showing up.... Can you help please?

"

ERROR

Heap 7 out of memory. Allocating 1864 bytes but only 2016 available (1028 LFB). 

Increase icf setting [s3e] MemSize7 (current value is 10000000).

"

With that, I can´t use the program at all.
Thanks,

Sunit

Stewart Buckingham
Honorable Member

Sorry you have encountered that Sunit. Can you please describe how far you get from launching Easyvfr when that happens? Also what countries you have installed and if you are using any purchased maps when it happens? This may give us some ideas to at least get you started. The big question of course if you are repeatedly getting this is “what is different between how your setup is operating when others do not get a similar repeated crash” 

VBR

Stu

Heiko Fricke
Beta tester
Eminent Member

Dynon message: plates are outdated

All,

I have updated my plates shortly after receiving the info on new plates.

Checking on the USB sticks most plates are dated 28.06. but some are dated 18.07. which indicates to me the last update worked fine.

Dynon complains that plates are outdated - s. attachment. How can I verify on the sticks that my data is good? Is there a hidden time stamp that Dynon reads to issue this message?

In June I had the same effect. I deleted the pfmsdata folder and copied all data to the sticks. There was no info from Dynon on outdated plates. 

Thanks for help

20210725 082737

2 Replies
Admin

Noble Member

Hi Heiko,

check the date of the file called pfmsplates.sqlite (I believe from memory its in /pfmsdata/plates directory. We’ve had an occacional report that this file wasn’t updated after a sync. Delete it and sync again just to be 100% sure. If it still fails then please email it to helpdesk at easyvfr4 dot aero, I will investigate it asap then. We are working on the last bits of dynon dataexchange for the next ev4 version, so improving this now would be great.

Trusted Member

I get this on mine too - I assumed it's because I have an air millions chart that I haven't paid for the latest update on (because I don't like it and dont use it)  that the system can still see on my USB stick. 

Heiko Fricke
Beta tester
Eminent Member

Rob,

I had been getting thís message for long. in June I deleted all files because I had selected and deselected many countries over time and thought I might have confused the system.

Result was the complete download of 2417 plates (several countries).

Today's early morning download resulted in downloading some plates (around 70) and "pfmsplates.sqlite" remained unchanged (Date: 28.06.).

Following your instruction I deleted "pfmsplates.sqlite".

EV4 evaluated 2415 files (2 less ..?), downloaded no files and stored a new pfmsplates.sqlite" file with today's date.

Unfortunately I will be out for the week and get back to my plane next weekend only to check - but I believe this must have been the bug.

Thanks for the help

BR

Heiko

1 Reply
Admin

Noble Member

Hi Heiko,

Happy to report this is fixed in the upcoming release. Thx for help!

Beta tester

Hi Stu. 

I see in another thread from you that it is possible to add approach charts from the AIPs to the list I can export to my Dynon Skyview. I have been doing this for a long time in EasyVFR3 so I get the published ILS charts etc. too, but I can't figure out how to do the same in EasyVFR4. I have looked through the user guide PDF too, but I still can't find any instructions on this. Can you help, please?

All the best.

Carl

Admin
Noble Member

Hi Carl,

I suppose you are using the [Docs] export option in EV3 to get those IFR plates to the Dynon SkyView ? Note that these not georeferenced, so these are there "for reference only". 

EV4 doesn't have the option to convert entire PDFs (thats what these are) to SkyViews "plate" format because it would increase the amount of data to be copied enormously. Many people complained about the plates export system in EV3 and we tried to make it easier in EV4 at a cost of flexibility unfortunately. 

My cart
Your cart is empty.

Looks like you haven't made a choice yet.