Clear all

[Solved] Yellow v Magenta route lines

16 Posts
8 Users
4 Likes
Beta tester
Topic starter
Reputable Member

I am struggling to comprehend the purpose of  plotting a route in Ev4 with a yellow line and then accepting/confirming it to make the colour change to magenta route line!...To what purpose or advantage? Personally I cannot see the point? It is a process that I currently can't see the advantage of at all. A route can still be easily modified when shown as a magenta line so why do we need this yellow line process at all?....Just button pressing that isn't really necessary?... Personally I am all for keeping things simple.

I am willing to be convinced of the advantages of this process but what do others think?

Alan.

15 Replies
Beta tester

Completely agree with Alan

Myself I didn’t find yet how to “accept” the yellow route and change it to magenta active route.

So I’m unable to file ATC file plan and always get back to EV3 

Could you explain the process, I work on a route and then when happy what to get it active 

Peter Jackson
Beta tester
Eminent Member

I think the idea is that we can alter a route and review it before accepting it and making it “active”.

A similar process (plan - review - activate) is used by most certified GPS navigators and is necessary for any app like EasyVFR which can drive an autopilot.

It means that we can plan a route change or diversion while airborne and during this process an autopilot with GPS steering continues to follow the original active (i.e. magenta) route.

Beta tester
Topic starter
Reputable Member

Hi Peter,

I currently have twin Dynon Skyviews with 2 axis autopilot. Flightplan/Route is transfered to the Skyviews via Ev3 for the Dynon Skyview autopilot to follow.

The autopilot is controlled from the Skyviews not directly from the Tablet so changing the flightplan in flight would not impact on the Autopilot at all until transfered to the Skyviews so I don't think that is the reasoning  behind having the Yellow/ Magenta route confirmation process . If I did decide to modify the flightplan/route whilst in flight I would disconnect the autopilot temporarily anyway and then transfer the modified flightplan. Alternatively you could just modify the flightplan /route in the Dynon Skyviews without changing the route in the Tablet.

I just feel that planning the flightplan/route it in yellow is an unnecessary process.  Why not just plan the route in magenta the same as Ev3.

Alan.

6 Replies
Erik Brouwer
Beta tester

Hi Alan,

There are multiple reasons for this feature and multiple scenarios where it may come in handy:

• When approaching a CTR, unsure if you can cross, you can make an alternative plan around it while continuing to fly your original plan that remains magenta for the time being.
  • When weather may force you to choose for another routing than originally planned, you can start working on an alternative route well in time without ruining your current plan.
  • We have improved the usability and sensitivity of the drag-and-drop feature, but this increases the chances of inadvertent changes, especially in rough air. When this happens, nothing gets messed up and  one touch brings you back to your original magenta plan.
  • There are more reasons that made people ask for this (it was a user requested feature) which I have to look up for you, but this is from the top of my head.

During planning phase on the ground, this feature may be cumbersome and not always needed, that is something we can disuss. 
I hope the above helps you understand (and appreciate 😉 ) this new feature.

Greetings!

Beta tester

Reputable Member

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the information and reasoning behind the Yellow route planning. I suppose I will get used to it but as you say it does seem rather cumbersome when doing inital route planning on the ground.

Alan

Edgar Hermanns
Beta tester

Trusted Member

@erikbrouwer

We have improved the usability and sensitivity of the drag-and-drop feature, but this increases the chances of inadvertent changes, especially in rough air.

That's no doubt a plausible reason. However: At first, I was missing an "undo" button, and to be honest, that's just intuitive and in fact the way in which applications handle such problems in general.

A major difference I see here, is, that an "undo" list would allow to go back step by step, whilst accepting the yellow line just "commits" a bunch af changes in one single step. The "undo" way would thus allow a more fine-grained handling of my changes. Such a list could be limited to "last five steps" or so, or (in a future release) even be configurable.

(and yes, users never get tired) ... 😉

Erik Brouwer
Beta tester

@pilothermanns-net

Hi Edgar,

EV4 offers a red/white X-button with every last flightplan modification, which allows you to undo the very last waypoint that you added without completely removing the alternative flight plan that you were working on. Does this fulfil your needs in this regard?

Greetings from blistering hot Lelystad,

Edgar Hermanns
Beta tester

Trusted Member

@erikbrouwer

Hello Erik,

thank you for the fast reply.

I have to look into this, maybe I've overseen this solution.

As my CAT S41 is a bit small for testing, I am currently waiting for my new XIAOMI Tablet (my Sony is 32 bit only). It will arrive in a few days and then I will come back to this topic.

Thanks again and until then. 🙂

Edgar Hermanns
Beta tester

Trusted Member

@erikbrouwer

Just to fulfill my announcement to test this: Yes, I did and it works (as was to be expected 😉 ). It is however not the way I am currently doing my planning.

But I got used to the yellow/magenta mode, and to accept the yellow state to change to magenta is just a snap, ok so far. Anyway: This is  functionally not an "undo" replacement - sadly.

Trusted Member

I quite like it, I’m always changing the route inadvertently when navigating round the screen and I like a ‘no thanks’ button.

1 Reply
Edgar Hermanns
Beta tester

Trusted Member

@fmsrussp-co-uk

Same here. The "no thanks" is in fact indispensable.

To be more elaborate: "No, thanks" differs from "undo" in that it rejects a change, e.g. because it was done inadvertently. "Undo" however, could (and should) really "undo" the latest "accepts", i.e. all the accepted changes to magenta, step by step. Thus, the yellow/magenta feature could (and should) stay there, but additionally it should be possible to apply an undo to the so far committed (= "magentified") planning.

In general I like that feature very much, but yesterday in very rough air for 8 flights lasting between 15 minutes and 1 hour I, at the end, would have loved a "LOCK FLPL" button as I hat at least 50/60 times to press the dicard changes button as each try to zoom or move the map eneded up in nothing then adding additional points of my flpl. Could we have such a lock button in addition please............... 😉

2 Replies
Admin

Honorable Member

@glastargmx-net

Hi Werner, 

You could change the behavior of the rubberbanding function so that it is "less sensitive". Go to: [EasyVFR 4 menu] -> [System] -> [Rubberban req. tap&hold]

Does this work for you?

Cheers,
Tim

@timpeter

I need to try it out 😉 thanks for the tip

Beta tester
Topic starter
Reputable Member

I have been asking for a LOC button the same as Ev3 since April. It was supposedly voted to be done ages ago so I live in hope of it happening soon!

Alan

My cart
Your cart is empty.

Looks like you haven't made a choice yet.