Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Meaning of wind barbs

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi everyone,

when using the vertical profile for planning a flight, it is not clear to me what the meaning of the wind barbs is. I was actually expecting that the wind barbs in the VPV would represent the projection of the wind vector onto the flight path, i.e. the head- or tailwind component as this would make the most sense from my perpective. However, as shown in the screen I attached, this is not the case, as the top view in this example shows easterly winds, where as the VPV shows a headwind although the fligh path is in westerly direction. 

Wind

Can anyone explain what the meaning is?  

Where has the selector in EV4 gone to pick the altitude at which the wind barbs are shown in the top view? EV3 had this function and I used it quite often.

I am using the recent version 4.0.803.

Thanks for any help

Roland

3 Replies
Admin
Honorable Member

Hi Roland,

Welcome to EasyVFR 4 and the forum!

The wind barbs in the Vertical Profil View (VPV) do indeed represent the headwind and tailwind component along your planned route.

In your screenshot, the wind on the moving map has along your planned route has indeed a tailwind component (comes from the west). In the VPV the wind along the route is also shown as a tailwind. Note: The VPV represents the planned route advancing from the left to the right. So on the left side is the start of the route and on the left side the positions along the route.

On the bottom of the VPV you see the distance "flown" along the route in nautical miles.

To verify this you can match the position in the VPV with a position on the map using the yellow sync slider as explained in this video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-mH1NCt2Ns&t=576s

I hope this makes it a bit more clear? Thinking about it, perhaps is the position of the north up point in the top left of the VPV confusing since it is not linked to the VPV but to the moving map.

I will ask the developers tomorrow what the altitude of the wind barbs on the moving map is and what the status is of the selector.

Thank you for sharing your experience with this part of the UI. It helps us to understand what is not clear yet.

Cheers,
Tim

Topic starter

Hi Tim,

thanks for the quick reply. I guess I got confused by the fact that the VPV is always from left to right regardless what the actual direction of flight is (which makes absolute sense) and should have looked more thoroughly at the waypoint designators. Nevertheless, you may want to include some more info about the weather in the VPV in your quick start guide (also about the different cloud symbols) or do a video.

You are right, the North Up Symbol would make more sense at the top of the moving map rather than where it is now. 

Thanks for trying to bring the weather level selector back 🙂

Roland

Admin
Honorable Member

@drz

Hi Roland,

To get back on the wind barbs. In EasyVFR 4, the altitude of the on the moving map depicted wind barbs is 2000ft AGL. The idea is that you use the VPV to see the wind aloft along your planned route. As you already saw, this works both for a Local Flight as for a Trip Flight.

The altitude selector is planned and is going to be part of a bigger weather enhancement project. ? This project is still in an early stage of development and will get prioritized after the launch of EasyVFR 4 in the app stores.

Blue skies,
Tim

My cart
Your cart is empty.

Looks like you haven't made a choice yet.