Together we make EasyVFR
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Question How to properly close EasyVFR4 on iPadOS?

Vincent Fischer
Beta tester
Topic starter
Eminent Member

I normally close apps on my iPads by double-clicking the home button to display all open apps and then swiping up the app I want to close.

When I do that with EasyVFR4, then next time I open it I get the message that the previous session crashed and do I want to report it? I normally just reply No and continue. This seems to happen 99.9% of the time any and on different iPads.

Is there different recommended way to close EasyVFR4 under iPadOS?

3 Replies
Stewart Buckingham
Beta tester
Prominent Member

"Swiping away" from the active Apps is indeed the "correct" way to end ANY app on IOS - indeed, it is  the ONLY way - Apple refuse to release any App that has any "Close" button, so they insist you can only close by the method the operating system provides! (However, the exact details of how to do that do vary between different IOS devices and their different IOS versions - e.g. on my iPhone 11 (so no "home" button!) with IOS 14.6 I have to "gently" swipe up from an active open app to get the sequence of all open apps.)

However, I personally have never encountered that "crash report" effect if I close it that way. Are you  running one of our "public beta" versions via Apple TestFlight? I presume you are as offering such crash reports i  standard testflight feature. I too run beta versions and I do see those testflight crash reports in the event of a genuine crash while actively using EasyVFR4 - of course now that only happens very rarely, though it did happen more often earlier in the development process.

You might be able to avoid the messages by running the full public release versions you can find in the Apple Store, though that of course would mean you woudl not get the benefit of early access to enhancements being piloted in the beta versions - and of course it would also deny us the benefit of any feedback you might care to give on the beta versions!

DO you see this effect if you are actively and successfully running EV4 and then immediately kill it, or perhaps only if you use it, leave it running in the background while you use other apps, and then some time later kill it? In that latter scenario, I wonder if in fact it has already actually failed in some way (e.g. memory leak) while left unattended and unobserved in the background, but that the testflight message about the crash only becomes evident when you try to kill EV4? If the latter is th case, what version of EV4 are you running - perhaps it is an old beta that did have a memory leak issue??? (The current public beta is 4.0.899, which (unusually!) is also the current full public release version.)

VBR

Stu B

Team EasyVFR

Vincent Fischer
Beta tester
Topic starter
Eminent Member

Ok, thought I was missing something.

I've only ever used the beta version, and update as soon as there is a change so I always have the most recent version.

I'll try to better document the event in future. Just to be clear, this particular "issue" is a message upon start of EasyVFR4 indicating it had crashed even though I had terminated it normally via the swipe. Not sure what reporting the message will provide as data to you, but I'll report it the next couple times it happens.

Stewart Buckingham
Beta tester
Prominent Member

Thanks, Vince. Those automatic crash reports are sometimes useful but the way they come in to us does not give any context at all about what the user had been doing and without that it can often be hard to make much use of them, so a personal report (either here or direct to the helpdesk) is generally more useful.

VBR

Stu

Share:
My cart
Your cart is empty.

Looks like you haven't made a choice yet.