5 Berichten
4 Gebruikers
0 Vind-ik-leuks
1,587 Bekeken
Beta tester
Topic starter
Reputable Member
Deelgenomen: 5 jaar geleden

I see PowerflarmCore has now been discontinued and a 'new' model called PowerFlarm Fusion has been launched.

The information states that wifi traffic data can be streamed directly to a number of Nav Apps.. Skydemon, XC Soar etc and including EasyVfr.

My question is:

Now that traffic info can be directly streamed directly without any decoding on the part of the App provider ( Easyvfr)does that mean that there is no longer an annual subscription to receive Flarm data on EasyVfr?

Alan.

4 reacties
Admin
Noble Member

Hi Alan,

The subscription to receive Flarm data on EV4 is only applicable to uAvionix' SkyEcho2. They made a special arrangement with Flarm to allow to pass encrypted FLARM data to EFB software, and we as EFB software have a per-user license from FLARM to decode that data and show on the screen. 

FLARM native equipment (Flarm core, the new flarm fusion) sends the FLARM data already decoded (its their protocol) to the EFB software, so no decoding license is required to use that. 

The interesting thing about the SkyEcho2 is that its also ADSB-out (in countries where allowed), so others will see you too even with the simplest ADSB receiver. I don't know if that is the case with FLARM, who AFIK only send out the proprietary FLARM encrypted protocol so only receivable by other FLARM users or SkyEcho2 users with a decoding license.

Beantwoorden
1 reactie
Bernhard Daenzer
Beta tester

Estimable Member

@rob-weijers

there's plenty of people decoding / sniffing flarm, whether licensed or not... in fact sometimes from amazing ranges/distances...

https://www.glidernet.org/ is one of the better organized sources that also feeds into flightradar24.

as to the skyecho2, although that is technologically speaking ads-b, it is far from meeting requirements for "true" ads-b out.

on the so called SIL, they can only report untrusted position (zero) as it is not a certified gnss source. that in turn makes it quite a pointless exercise as many "consumers" like airline nav displays simply filter them out. and the lack of integration with the mode-s transponder while using the same frequency is also another questionable design element that is not in line with 1090mhz spectrum protection goals and could pose problems in airspace with dense radar coverage and many aircraft applying this strategy... (hence maybe why ok for UK and Australia *g*)

yes, the UK and Australia may have approved. but many in the industry are not convinced. this is an experiment on a very sensitive frequency with potential implications on safety. i suggest pilots and owners should think twice before sinking money in that, believing they would be buying "ads-b out"!
the poor man's version... they could all run into another cpdlc-scale debacle, once the equippage rate reaches a certain threshold... with the added risk of interfering with legacy surveillance radar performance 🙁 google "european datalink recovery plan", what a mess that has been...

in my opinion, the restricted to low power FLARM will remain the only widespread, affordable and viable traffic solution for quite some time to come in europe's GA. "true" ads-b out is prohibitively expensive and lacks the "in" services they get in the U.S.
and the "poor man's" ads-b, as proposed, is a fundamentally bad idea.

let's not even imagine all the UAV's / drones coming...  

Beantwoorden
Beta tester
Topic starter
Reputable Member

Hi Rob,

Thanks for confirmation that an Ev4 Flarm subscription licence is not needed with the new PowerFlarm Fusion.

Yes I agree the whole ADSB/Flarm traffic thing in Europe is a complete mess and will be for some time to come as you say....Very confusing!

Thanks again,

Alan.

Beantwoorden
leif
 leif
Beta tester
Prominent Member
Posted by: @flyvans-com

on the so called SIL, they can only report untrusted position (zero) as it is not a certified gnss source

The skyecho2 actually has SIL=1

SIL values of one (1) enable certified avionics, TCAS, and ATC to process and display your aircraft position.

But it should not be the goal to increase the SIL above 0 !  We GA flyers don’t need to be on the airline screens.  It would clutter their screens and be useless.  (Probably the reason why it is not certified in the EU).

Beantwoorden
Mijn winkelwagen
Je winkelwagen is leeg.

Het lijkt erop dat je nog geen keuze hebt gemaakt.