3 Gebruikers
0 Vind-ik-leuks
882 Bekeken
91c558d8433ca93f9e487bfc820491ca?s=80&d=retro&r=g
Beta tester
Topic starter
Deelgenomen: 4 jaar geleden

Hello,

I switched over to a new Teclast P20HD Tablet. The installation of easyvfr 4.0.870 worked perfect and the downloads of all needed data worked well too.

My problem started while downloading the german airport plates. It seems as if it works, but it loads every file with 0 MB. In the download menu I get the message:

Herunterladen von 3523.6MB in 6594 Dateien vorbereiten.

In the background a window pops up continuously with the message:

Airport Plates and Documents still to download: 6594

0.0Mb

The "documents still to download" don't decrements. So nothing was downloaded. The folder "efbdatacache" was still empty.

I installed easyvfr 4.0.870 on a LG G8S Smartphone. On this device I don't have any problems with the airport plates.

Does anyone know, what's going wrong?

Greetings Rainer

16 reacties
5c1242ce1c84de60ae1ea618ae44df33?s=80&d=retro&r=g
Admin
Noble Member

Hi Rainier,

Could it be the P20HD is running Android 11? If so, make sure you run our latest beta (4.0.894 at the moment), there have been some fixes implemented for Android 11.

Beantwoorden
Beta tester
Topic starter

Hi Rob, thanks vor your reply. 

The P20HD still runs Android 10. 

Btw, I have had the same problem on my Windows Version. I could see during download the creation of the 0MB PDF File in the folder efbdatacache. A short time later the file was deleted.

I have No Idea whats going wrong.

Greetings Rainer

Beantwoorden
Beta tester
Topic starter

I gave the 4.0.894 a chance and now it working on my P20HD.

Thanks for your support.

Beantwoorden
Stewart Buckingham
Honorable Member

We have had very occasional reports of "stalled" plates downloads, if you do encounter the problem again, apart from ensuring you have the latest version of EasyVFR, you can tap ">Menu>System>Delete_All_Airfield_Plates_&_Docs" to flush out any corrupted files or counters and make a fresh start with teh download. That has never failed to fix it for me.

Beantwoorden
Beta tester
Topic starter

Hi Stewart,

I still have this problem. After a new installation of 4.0.894 it worked for the first download. The next downloads shows the same failure. Every download with 0KB. 

After a "Delete_All_Airfield_Plates_&_Docs" all plates are deleted in the filesystem. A new download looks like it works, but all files are downloaded with 0KB and they are not stored in the filesystem.

The folder "efbdatacache" doesn't exist.

I have easyvfr installed on two other devices ( LG G8S Smartphone and Teclast P80X) - on these devices I never had this problem. 

I can use the airfield plates on the P20HD only after copying the efbdata folder from the LG or the P80X to the P20HD. This is not very comfortable, but it works.

Btw, the same problem exists on my windows 4.0.897 installation. The files to download are counted down during download, but the files are downloaded with 0 KB as type tmp and are not stored in the filesystem. If you look in the efbdatacache folder during download, you can get see the file for a short time in the folder with 0KB before it than disappears.

Could it be a problem with user rights or licensing?

Greetings Rainer

Beantwoorden
Stewart Buckingham
Honorable Member

This is very strange! What countries do you have installed? Perhaps one country has an odd file that is causing trouble, in which case you could remove all counties except one, se if plates then install for that one, then add more counties one at a time and download plates again after each addition. Also, do you have any purchased plates (DFS Anflugkarten, Swiss SkyGuide or UK Pooleys)? If so, if you tap Menu>My_EasyVFR, are your subscriptions to those plate sets showing as current? (Though apart from the purchased plates, even Germany, Switzerland and UK also have some "free" plates from the AIP so there should be no reason why any problems with licencing of purchased plates should stop the free ones installing.)

The only other thought I have is that the downloading process does require a LOT of free disk space - it is not just a question of having enough space to store teh files when they are downloaded; there is space needed to hold the downloaded files while they are being decompressed, and checking for superseded duplications, etc. Certainly I remember cases with EasyVFR3 of devices with limited free storage running into trouble with plates downloads. The process in V4 is entirely new but similar requirements for plenty of space still exist. Assuming you have the same countries and same EV version installed on all your devices, and that all devices are correctly running on the same licence (we have encountered users who have accidentally obtained more than one licence from us - with different email addresses - and having renewed one of their licences, another device does not work because it is still on a different licence which has not been renewed and needed to be reset to be registered on the ongoing licence), then really the only reasons why one does complete the download and the other does not are that either one has some corruption in its software (so woudl need a complete removal and reinstallation of EasyVFR) or that one does not have sufficient free storage (or memory - we recommend that teh device should have 3GB of RAM; 1GB is without doubt insufficient, 2GB may probably work but depends how much is gobbled up by operating system and other apps)

VBR

Stewart

Beantwoorden
1 reactie
Beta tester

Thanks for your detailed answer.

For a test, I deleted all countries except for Germany. The German DFS airfield plates are licensed but I got the trouble with only one country too...

On both devices, Windows PC and P20HD are enough free disk space.

The P20HD has 3 GB memory.

On the P80x it runs without problems with 2 GB memory.

A complete removal and new installation I made 3 times - without a change.

Some weeks ago, I changed my email address and got a new license. But I use on all devices the same new email. The subscription is shown as correct and the DFS plate as licensed.

All seems to be correct. I'm clueless...

Beantwoorden
Stewart Buckingham
Honorable Member

I'm really sorry you are having such difficulty, Rainer. As I'm sure you appreciate, we now have many German users running Version 4 with no such trouble, but of course that is no consolation to you! Have you tried with just one country, but that one country  NOT being  Germany? As I understand from your posting above, you have perhaps not yet tried that?

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is, do you have any user-waypoints or other user-defined information which uses accented characters, umlauts, etc? Use of such characters has certainly caused odd behaviour in a number of different cases in the past, but we thought we had now managed to prevent such characters being accepted as user input in all places where users can enter text, but perhaps we have missed one situation!

If I understand you correctly, it is running entirely correctly and reliably on the P80x, including downloading all plates, but refuses to download plates on either the P20HD or the Windows PC. But you are sure all three are logging in with the same credentials, and the DFS plates are shown as licensed on all 3. If just one device were having problems I might suspect a corrupted file (but as you have done several reinstallations that does not seem likely), or if all 3 devices were failing in the same way I would suspect something odd about how your account is set up, but something that affects 2 devices, on two different operating systems, yet does not affect a third device on the same licence really does not make any sense to me. Do all devices have the same countries installed? If you save a route on any one device, does it then become available to load on the other two? Might it be something to do with the sequence in which you have developed your set-up on the different devices? - for example - and this is a really long shot - if perhaps there was a bug such that the DFS plates only download correctly if you had previously done a successful plates download BEFORE you had purchased the DFS set? I'm sorry but I am really grasping at straws here!

VBR

Stu

Beantwoorden
Stewart Buckingham
Honorable Member

Oh, one other thing - some users do attempt to make EasyVFR install files on removable SD cards. We very strongly discourage users form such practices - a few (older?) versions of Android do manage to work like that (though it makes them run much slower), but most just cannot do it and attempts to do so result in hung downloads and all sorts of problems. But there again, you are having trouble on a Windows POC, and there should be no such difficulties there!

Beantwoorden
1 reactie
Beta tester

Hi Stewart,

Thanks again for detailed answer.

My P20HD has no SD-Card installed, so easyvfr is completely installed in the memory. From 64GB are 50GB free. In my opinion this should be enough for downloading the plates.

I removed and reinstalled easyvfr 4.0.897 ones more again. I selected German as language and the netherlands as country. The download of Aerodata worked fine. But the download of airport plates shows the same fault. All files are downloaded with 0KB.

On all 4 devices I logged in with the same credentials and the DFS plates are shown as licensed on all 4 devices.

I have no user waypoints defined.

Greeting Rainer

Beantwoorden
Stewart Buckingham
Honorable Member

Thanks for your patience and persistence, Rainer! I really cannot think of anything further to suggest, but I have escalated the problem to Rob ("Mr EasyVFR") to see if he has any further suggestions.

The whole approach to managing plates is entirely new for V4, totally different form how it was done in V3 so there is inevitably a risk that there is still some very odd bug buried in the new code.

One further idea - I presume all your attempts on the different devices are all via the same wifi network, with a good, robust link? The process is designed to be robust and efficient in its downloading, surviving interruptions and restarting where it had reached when a link is re-established, but perhaps a very poor/intermittent wifi connection might overcome the built-in protections. As you don't mention them, I presume all the weather, notam, etc downloads all work 100% reliably on all your devices?

VBR

Stu

Beantwoorden
1 reactie
Beta tester

Thanks again, Stu.

Yes indeed, all mobile devices are connected to the same wifi with a good signal. My internet connection amounts 100MB.

The network connection on my PC is wired with 100MB.

Flightplans, airplanes etc. which are stored in the cloud are visible on all devices.

All other downloads (weather, Aerodata, notam etc.) are working on all devices without any problems. Only airport plates are affected.

Best regards

Rainer

Beantwoorden
Admin
Noble Member

Try downloading plates using your phone or tablet from a totally different network, for example from your office or a friend. There have been one or two similar cases in the past where the router turned out to be the problem. Bqck then the suspicion was the router considered our multithreaded download of plates as some kind of thread because of the many requests per second to the same server, but we never managed to prove that. Plates download is the only part in the app that does this fast multiple downloads at a time, what would explain why its only happening with that.

I’m pretty sure there is something similar in your network if all connected devices suffer from the same problem

Beantwoorden
Beta tester
Topic starter

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your hint. I will try this out on monday and I will report the result.

It is strange for me, because 2 devices work fine on the same network and 2 devices doesn't.

Have a nice Sunday

Rainer

Beantwoorden
Beta tester
Topic starter

Hi Rob,

first of all, thanks a lot again for your support.

I tried out the download on a different network at my girlfriend's home. There it worked without any problems. (This is reason why it work the first time after installation of 4.0.894. I installed it at my girlfriend's home too, where it worked and I thought it was fixed with this version...)

Your crucial hint, that the router causes the problem, was the key to solve the problem.

I went back to my home and checked the settings of my router. I'm using a AVM FritzBox 7530 where you can set for each connected device filters for the internet. In my standard setting for new devices a blacklist (which is empty) and BPjM-filter (to secure the internet for my children) is activ. I don't know why, but these filters are responsible for the faulty downloads. After turning these filters to off and setting to unlimited, it works for both devices, PC and P20HD. Now all 4 devices work fine.

Thanks again, best regards and happy landings

Rainer

Beantwoorden
Admin
Noble Member

Sometimes computers drive us all crazy 😉

Beantwoorden
Mijn winkelwagen
Je winkelwagen is leeg.

Het lijkt erop dat je nog geen keuze hebt gemaakt.